Alleppo pepper

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by IveofIone, Apr 25, 2014.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Most have not heard of this product but it has been around for years. I urge you to try some. I can't tell you how good it is-you will have to decide that for yourself. But to me it is the most flavorful pepper I have found and has retired all the other pepper products in the kitchen except my specialty black pepper. Alleppo has taste with moderate heat. Many peppers are mind blowingly hot but have no flavor. Alleppo hits that Goldilocks zone better than any other.

It is available on line of course through both Spice House and Penzey's. Seattle has a Penzey's I believe on Pine Street and Portland two-one in Clackamas town Center and the other in Beaverton. Try this on Asian, Mexican or just steaks and burgers when you want some heat and flavor but not a burn.

Ive

2. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Aleppo pepper is great. I use it a lot for the same reasons you point out -- lots of flavor and not take-your-head-off heat.

I put ~1 tsp into a pound of burger. It turns an ordinary hamburger into a really great burger.

My Chinese and Mexican food always get some of it but I use it on a lot of other dishes.

It originated in Turkey.

Trapper

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Ooooooooo, I may have to try some of it. Sounds great.

Which reminds me. I'd love to be able to find the "non hot" jalapenos. They actually modify the jalapeno to have all the flavor, none of the heat. People love my ABT's, but can't eat them because of the heat. Harder then hell to tell if they'll be hot or not how I make my ABT's.

4. Trapper Badovinac

I'm sure you already know this, but if you scrape the seeds out of fresh whole jalapenos, it takes a LOT of the bitey heat out of them.

Trapper

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

I actually found out that wasn't true. I used to core a jalapeno like crazy since some can't handle heat. You'd still get some nuclear hot. Funny I saw a show on tv dealing with hot foods a year ago. Had a story about a biologist nick named "Dr Jalapeno". He's helped cultivate a lot of the peppers out there and also where I heard about him making jalapenos with zero heat. He also displaced the myth about seeds and heat. Most of the heat are in the yellow membranes inside the pepper. Probably what the seeds feed from. Explains a lot (and I work with them a lot).

6. Trapper Badovinac

I have found a huge variance of heat between jalapenos, sometimes even between peppers from the same plant. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to me removing the seeds and scraping the membranes out seems to reduce the heat. It doesn't drop it to zero of course, but it does seem to cut it down. But, I've never done a side by side comparison by removing the seeds from half a pepper and not the other half.

I think you'll like the Aleppo. As stated earlier it's heavy on flavor and not heavy on heat.

Trapper

Jerry Daschofsky likes this.
  7. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

I'd concur, Trapper; mine seem to have less heat without the membranes, and I make sure the dried Seczhuan chilis I use in my Chinese dishes don't have any seeds also. I enjoy the heat, but not the rest of the planet, it seems!

When I was stationed at Nha Be, we had a woman who would cook for us about a week before we went out on a LRRP. She brought this hot fish sauce called nuc mom, or something like that. if you dropped it on the helo pad, it would burn it's way to the other side of the globe!!!:eek:

8. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

9. 2506

2506 Member

They're a good source of vitamins A, C and E, rich in folic acid and potassium, low in calories and sodium, and contain no carbohydrates. Not to mention the endorphins. You could aways just work on building up a tolerance....

10. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

A majority of the capsaicin found in a pepper will reside in the placenta and veins of a pepper. While the seeds do have some capsaicin, it is the nearby membranes that pack the punch. Regarding differences in spiciness from one pepper to another, growth temperature and water availability play a major role. Hotter and drier conditions lead to more capsaicin production. A pepper from the shady side of a plant could very likely have less capsaicin by virtue of a difference in temperature.

I'll look in to getting some alleppo pepper. I like my pepper flavor and spice, but the GF can't handle the heat.