Alpaca wool/hair

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Gary Knowels, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    Has anyone ever tied with alpaca wool? My mom has an entire rose-gray wool from an alpaca and gave me a bunch. Most of it looked like it would make really good dubbing and I got 5 different colors from it, ranging from cream to tan, to chocolate, to gray, rose. The longer hair from the mane looked like it could be used similar to mohair/angora goat.

2. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    the short stuff is great for dubbing and the long stuff makes for great streamers if its long enough its great clouser material and for deceivers.

for the dubbing take some Ice Dub from hairline and mix it with some of the dubbing style fur. looks really cool when its in the water.

3. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:

makes GREAT dubbing

4. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:

Gary,
    Alpaca and llama hairs I hear have hollow fibers similar to polar bear, which makes them an excellent substitute for polar.

5. Gary Knowels

Media:
    I read a scientific journal article about alpaca fiber properties. Finer than wool. Long semi-hollow fibers. I'm looking forward to playing around with it. Going to try a mohair style leech with the chocolate color tonight. I'll post a picture when I get one done.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

6. Gary Knowels

Media:
    Poor pictures I know, but this color is a chocolate/root beer. It seems that the fibers average from 1.5" to 3" depending on which clump and what area the fibers came from. These ones are a little over 2 inches. There is a wet and dry picture. I did the water glass test and liked the movement it had. Now only to find a time to fish it soon.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files: