Alpaca?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by papafsh, May 12, 2009.

1. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    Has anyone ever used Alpaca fibers for tying fly's? If so how do you use it, as dubbing, hair wings...whatever? is there a natural buoyancy to it, or does it soak up water and sink?
    I live on Camano Island and there are several Alpaca farms out here and I think I could lay my hands on some without much effort.
    But just thought I'd ask first. I've never seen any in local fly shops.

LB
  2. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Saltwater flies. It's a fairly good substitute for polar bear fur. Keep it sparse. It will soak up water and sink. A few years back, I read a fly tying article on alpaca wool, and it was praised for its movement in water and how it takes in light when wet. We're talking about the natural white color. Give it a try.

--Dave E.
  3. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    i thin kalpaca is like sheeps wool? correct me if im wrong! but to answer your first question, no i never have. sorry

colton

post some pics if you find something cool to do with it:D
  4. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    i have to alpaca wool hats from peru and i love them! anything that can be this awesome at holding hair must make a great fly dubbing. my guess is it will sink, but i suppoe what form u find it in. its very simmiliar to wool.
  5. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    i think it is similar to llama but a little finer. if it is cheap give it a try. mike w
  6. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +244 / 1
    Alpaca makes great dubbing. The fibers are particularly long and soft. There are only a handful of sheep and goat breeds that come close to Alpaca for fiber length, softness and warmth. Currently it comes in 22 natural colors. No matter what form you find it in it is distinctly different from most 'wool'. It does absorb water.

TC
  7. Joz Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Papa Fish.
    Call me at (360) 934-6433 or e-mail walkergamebirds@centurytel.net
    I will send you some Alpaca in red, blue, green, yellow plus what ever I have.......Merle
  8. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Thanks Merle,

I'll take you up on that offer.

LB
  9. agent montana This Must be a sickness!! MARINATE!!!

Groove City!
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    My wife has an Alpaca coat. Am I going to be cutting it soon?
  10. Joz Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Papa Fish.
    Your Alpaca is in the mail, Also a little Polor bear...Good Fishing Merle
  11. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Merle,
    Thank you, I got the envelope today and I was completely surprised that you included the PB :eek: Truly a special, unexpected, gift. I'm already planning to make good use of the Alpaca and PB.

Thanks again,

LB