Alpine lake trip

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by flyerman, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Howdy, I have been hitting some high lakes lately. Hit this lake last week and was real happy with the fishing. I tied to ID some different bugs, but they all looked like skeeters and I am still itching. I guess that and my limited experience at ID'ing bugs. I saw no shucks no damsels. Fish seemed like they have not seen any flies ever so I guess it didn't matter too much. Morning was fair, but evenings rocked, I caught three good sized Brookies on consecutive casts shooting floating line as far as I could with a small Carrie Special.

Caught some stream line bows (I think they were bows) that put up an aerobatic hard fight, brookies were kinda sluggish. Lake was 3400 feet and saw no other fishers and only ten other people in four days. Twenty mile hike plus brush bucking to find room to cast. Carried a nine pound raft that apparently I got too fat for.

Was wondering if this looked like a bow to anyone and any thoughts on sluggish brookies at 3400 feet? Water was way to cold to swim.... and brookies were 13-17 inches.

Take care, guys Greg

2. all the alpine lakes i have been to have either had to much ice or i must have not been there at the right time.

oh yeah nice bookie thats a monster for an alpine lake

3. Yep the first pic is a rainbow, and that is a nice brookie!

I am going out this weekend, and I hope to wet a line at about 4500', we shall see. I sure hope I can wet a line, as this is one of a few weekends I can get out.

4. Let me tell you, those are a both exceptional fish for a high lake in the cascades. Keep that one secret. The bugs are minimal high up, so stick with small attractors like 16 and 18 wullfs, adams, caddis' and nymphs such as hare's ears and pheasant tails. Fish like those are opportunistic feeders. Most of these trout's diets are made up of small midges, and very small invertebraes. These fish are completely healthy though, and not stunted like a lot of our high lake populations, so maybe there is a food source giving them nutrients that you may not have seen. Next time, leave the raft, an extra nine pounds is a lot to pack in any amount of miles.

5. Darn nice fish Greg, a catch to be proud of , thanks for sharing!

6. Awesome Brook Trout! I wish I was you.

7. Beautiful fish, thanks for sharing. I guess my fat butt should put on a pack and go for a hike for my next outing.