alpine lakes

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Rory McMahon, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    What characteristics makes a alpine lake worth fishing. I read about scuds in the mountain lake thread but what else makes a good lake?

2. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

In the 1970's I helped Jim Johnson(Fisheries biologist for Wash. Dept. of Fisheries) do lake fish surveys on the Olympic National Forest. There were some lakes that had good populations of freshwater shrimp in them. These lakes produced some huge fish(5-6lbs) as they had a good year-around food source(freshwater shrimp) even when the lakes were frozen over. Most of these high lakes had little availability for stream spawning so they needed to be stocked. Jim tried to manage them for a quality fisheries by planting Atlantic salmon and cutthroat trout. I believe that program was discontinued in the 1980's.

If you can get ahold of Jim's report it has a wealth of information about lakes(bottom contours, size of age classes of fish, food sources, management recommendations for the lakes, etc.) on the eastside of the Olympic Peninsula. In the report, Jim explained how the freshwater shrimp produced large fish in these lakes. I believe it was written around 1974.

Roger

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    JJ really got me to thinking about how to decide what makes a good high lake fishing opportunity. Scuds, as mentioned, are a really good bet, but they're not available everywhere. Other criteria that seem useful are:

a. a good southern exposure, to get more sunlight and longer growing season;

b. a sizeable littoral zone, or shallow water area, as that's where the food comes from;

c. sandy, silty, and marl substrates are far more productive than rocky ones;

c. granite is less productive than other rock formations around lakes;

d. lack of spawning areas means a lower likelihood of a massive population of stunted brookies or cutthroats.

There are others, and reading the report is a good idea.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.