Alpine Lakes

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by sharpshooter223, Oct 20, 2007.

1. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    high alt. lakes

it can depend on time of year, day of week, where you are hiking, how long, etc.

In some places, they have day use permits and over night permits. Each trail is allowed a certain amount of users per day and each lake or camp area has a set amount of available sites per day\night. Most of these are 'first come' basis. So you arrive early at the ranger station, put your name in for the area you want, and hope you get a spot.

Call the ranger station you are curious about and ask them....

2. Snake

Snake tryin' not to get too comfortable

high alt. lakes

For the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, it's real easy: you get a wilderness permit FOR FREE at the trailhead (self-registration). You'll need a NW Forest Pass, too, or else park 1/4 mile from the trailhead and walk in (but I didn't say that, if anyone asks).

The only permits you need in advance (and are hard to get) are for the Enchantments in the Leavenworth Ranger District.

Here's a useful site: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/cle-elum-wilderness/permits.html

You know, sharpshooter223, if you'd use "the Google", you could find the answer to almost all your questions.......:ray1:

3. sharpshooter223

sharpshooter223 Member

high alt. lakes

i was thinking of fishing chiiiiiii......chiwaukum lake, using trail #1571. anybody know what i would need for that. im sorry if you feel that i should be finding the info myself, its just that i can hardly find anything on google and i figure people on here might know some stuff to help out a beginner.

4. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Media:
    high alt. lakes

I'm seeing some inconsistencies here. You're not going out there alone are you? In the fall? I'm not asking this to be mean or condescending; I'd just hate to read about you later.

Just FYI, I typed in Chiwaukum Lake 1571 into Google and 2 or the first 3 results had answers to all of your questions.

Here's some constructive advice:
    Do a bunch of online searches here and elsewhere for alpine lakes angling. Get some USGS or Greentrails maps and look for some clusters of lakes that intrigue you. Do more searches on lake names. Get some Topo! software for WA (or ID/OR where you might find better fishing closer to home). Spend the winter dorking out with the software, using it to find some trip ideas.

Outside of the National Parks, nearly all highlakes in the NW have fish populations in them.

Don't give up after not getting responses from WDFW's general inquiry email. Locate the DISTRICT FISHERIES BIOLOGIST in the region/district that you're interested in. The NF District Fish Biologist with the Forest Service will also likely have info. Get this person's name and contact him/her directly.

5. sharpshooter223

sharpshooter223 Member

high alt. lakes

dont worry, ill be there next SUMMER and ill be with my dad. all ive seen online for NW forest passes are day trip stuff, im assuming there are multi day passes also?

6. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Media:
    high alt. lakes

Im not sure what time of year you are planning on going to some high altitude lakes but its getting pretty late in the year... and if you are planning on camping its going to get pretty darn cold... and some lakes may ice over here soon (depending on elevation) But hey just go out and check it out... ya never know. wilderness passes/permits are the easy part hiking is the hard part! Good luck.

I second using the topos, and green maps. definitely want them in an area when you dont know the area well.

7. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    high alt. lakes

have you read any of the links posted here? :confused:

This one tells you where to get the passes you need
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/cle-elum-wilderness/permits.html

And this one tells you what to expect.
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/outreach/fishing/highlake.htm

And i'll add one
    http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_wilderness_area/wildethc.htm

8. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    high alt. lakes

http://nwhiker.com/

GIVE THIS SITE A ONCE OVER. THEY HAVE LOADS OF INFO ON WHAT PASSES YOU NEED FOR WHERE. AS FOR THE FISHING, I HAVE NEVER FISHED ANY REAL HIGH ALT. LAKES SO I COULD NOT HELP YOU, SORRY.