Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Alright you spey bums...fill me in here???

Spey 
6K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  Bob Triggs 
#1 ·
So im kicking back lastnight and contemplating which 8wt rod to go with and it hits me....why dont I try a spey rod. I mean, you can cast way farther, im getting older(just kiddin fellas), and mostly you can cover a ton more water than a normal fly rod. Am I correct in these assumptions?

How do all you spey nazis like the spey rods versus normal rods?? Is casting really easier like they say it is. How does wind affect a spey...the same as a normal rod??

I know I will have a few more questions but it was just an idea that popped in my head and I figured I would ask the experts.

Thanks,

~Patrick ><>

#2 ·
I'm suprised that you haven't had any answers to your questions yet. But being that I'm an old man,just where are you going to use this expensive rod at. Most of the rivers on the dry side are small and you can reach all areas with a single hander. Except maybe the Grande Ronde. But how often do you go there.

I think that I'm beginning to see that you are rod whore and want to get as many as you can before your wife shuts you down.

Have you used that 4wt yet,and how's the float tube working out. Questions,questions,questions.

Jim: The time worn out old man:beer1 ;)

#3 ·
Spey is a religion.

I like my spey rods just fine versus single hand rods.

Casting is different with a spey maybe not easier. There are certain aspects of spey that might be considered easier. You might be able to mend and such a tad easier because of the longer rod. The longer rod and the Skagit style spey cast make throwing sink tips easier. Less casting motion allows you to keep your fly in the water more of the time. Less area needed behind to cast allows you to fish more water. You can generate some serious line speed with a 2 hander which should translate to longer casts. Spey casting is more fun.

#5 ·
Once you learn it, there is no doubt that the effort required to cast good distances repeatedly is far less with a spey rod. And, the wind actually helps with several types of casts, as long as you match the wind direction to the cast.

There are enough questions like this on this forum that, given the slow fishing, perhaps we should do another informal spey gathering for interested parties somewhere.

Circlespey

#6 ·
I want to say something about that statement about that you said about keeping you fly in the water longer and covering more fish. But I don't want to start a arguement. I fish with a gent that uses Spey rods all the time,no matter what the water size. And me with my single hander I seem to have my fly in the water longer than he does. I think that it is how you approach the water is how you fish your flies. His approach is down and across and mine is across and down. I hope this makes some sense because as I'm typing this I'm thinking about other things.

Jim

#8 ·
spey clave

schmokin'reel!!!!

Circlespey, that sounds like a great thing to pull off, i for one would be very interested, Pat , that means a trip too the west side eh buddy! wanna catch some sea-run shoes:+ hey were you thinking the 5wt or 8wt spey? i think im interested in the 5wt sage:dunno any input on the 5wt sage fellas would be swell:smokin bhudda

#9 ·
spey clave

For myself the only time I think I would use a Spey would be for the winter steelies....so probably a 7 or 8wt would be my guess. Just to cover more water on the bigger rivers like the Ronde or the Clearwater mainly.

EDIT: but yes I would make the drive to participate in a clave...and get some fishing in with some of you wacked out west siders :p
~Patrick ><>

#10 ·
I won't get into the spey vs single hand debate it's an individual preference. I have several of both and prefer to fish a spey almost exclusively for steelhead, for trout I fish a single handed rod. As for waters in Eastern Wash / N Idaho that would fish well with a spey rod, the Snake and Clearwater are some big rivers that would be prime for swinging flies with the big stick. The Ronde fishes beautifully with a spey rod and floating line, I'll be there in Oct. nuf said, Steve

#14 ·
spey clave

Mattzoid has the 5wt Sage and he seems to like it. But I can't seem to wake him up to this web site or any other since he started his divorce thing. "Hey Matt you out there".

I think that the last Spey Clinic that was held over on the wet side was in March up at Big Eddy on the Skykomish. Which I didn't attend.

Jim

#16 ·
Old man, yeah, it's his style of fishing. Since he's casting down and across, he's already lost a good part of the drift. What most mean by "having fly in water longer" is that you can mend much easier, and have more rod to help do this, paying out line easier. I assume that's what is meant. I know I could get more line in the water quicker, and work it longer with a spey then I could my one handers.

Now, onto rods. I no longer have speys, in fact, only have one one hander left. Not by choice, but thanks to this injury I had have sold off most of my rods. But I had a 9140 Sage for my winterrun fishing. This was a cannon that I mostly used for tip fishing. Rarely ever a floating line. (9wt 14' for those who aren't up on Sage rods). Had an older Cabela's 7wt 13' I used for summerruns. Never had a problem with it, and only used for dry line fishing. I know the more I used the speys, the less I used one handers. BUT, I ONLY fish salmon/steelhead. I don't fish trout. I do agree with Kerry (I think it was him) that said it's a different style of fishing. Those who are used to a one hander will have to change their casting style. I know I almost tossed out my first spey rod. Couldn't get it to cast more then 20'. Arm was getting tired of casting (I was really tossing that baby hard, so a 14' rod will wear you out fast casting this way) so I switched to my "weak" arm. Fealt ackward, and REALLY slowed down my cast. Guess what? Tossed out a 70' cast first time out. Had to relearn that I had to slow down and let the rod do ALL the work. I'm not the most proficient, and am FAR from the best, but I can do a spey cast. Once I'm back on my feet, have a few rods back, will actually for once get lessons on spey casting.

#17 ·
The last big "clave" around here was the Kaufmann's one in March near High Bridge, I think. I don't think we want to replicate that, but I think that a smallish gathering of WFF spey casters and interested parties would be a fun time. I would be happy to donate a day of and a few spey rods to the cause, if there are others who want to join in. How about next weekend on the Sky? I will be on bachelor patrol for the last time for a while (weddings tend to complicate fishing availability).

Sinktip, what do you think? Anyone else game?

Circlespey

#18 ·
Any gathering of this group, for whatever reason, is going to be fun.

The first one I attended was last year at the Ben Howard Launch on the Sky for Spey casting. It's an art form with applications to one-handers.

I'll bring the donuts, someone bring the coffee and one of you that knows what you're doing call the time and place - I'm in.

Bart

#21 ·
are you checking the water temps an dfish counts b4 you leave as hot as thios year has been this year could be late? been there like 10 years in a row alwys seems to be a different week or ven month is best even been snowed on and still caught fish as to the spey thing for me its 2 hands for big water or streams with no room to backcast if I lived on the east side I'd want 1 doublehander for the large Idaho rivers, snake salmon and clearwater for the clearwater manly so you don't have to wade too much seems to me the bottom of that river is made up of bowling balls covered in snot
john

#22 ·
Pwoens, spey rods, by their nature, require heavier lines than typical single-hand rods. They too come in a variety of rated line sizes, but it starts and runs higher than one-handers. The lightest lined spey I know of is the new Sage 5-weight, and that's as specialized as a 1-weight one-handed midge rod. You typically see spey rods of 6-9-weight used for "summer" conditions, and 10-12 used for big river, monster fish, "winter" fishing.

If the gathering being discussed here comes together, you should try to attend. You'll learn more in a few hours than you could here, by far. A beginning spey caster needs instruction as much as a novice skier or golfer.

#23 ·
Did some one say Speyclave?????????????
If I can help just let me know.
I will get a few of the rods off the Tryrack just let me know where and when.

speybum
www.speyshop.com
:smokin

#24 ·
I would love to be a part of another Spey Gizmo. We should set it up more like a rodeo, with events. Me and Oldman Jim could face off with a couple of timers behind us and settle this, "whose fly is in the water the longest" crap once and for all. And it would include the time it takes Jim to tie on new flies when his backcasts go below 9 O'clock (remember Jim, I love ya like brother). We could do competitions of distance, style, number of casts in ones arsenal etc. Or we could just have fun.

I will bring the Sage 12' #5(5120) and 15' #10(10150 older model but a real cannon), Loop Yellow Line 14' #9(9140-4A) and 12' #8(8124), Dec Hogan's Flylogic 13' #7(1307) and a St. Croix 14' #10 in case any y'all are thinking of going the cheap route.(If I were to add one rod it would be the Scott ARC 9 wt.)

For line I will bring midspey, windcutter, airflo, and shooting head sytems from airflo and rio. I would love to take the time to let everyone try my stuff if it will help them from making purchases they would regret later.

So what do you say fella's, when we gonna do this rodeo at Ben Howard?

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

#25 ·
I'd vote for Sunday next week given a choice. Late morning, so that the energetic types can fish early, and the devout among us can darken the door of a chapel before coming over? 10:30? I could also make it Saturday if people prefer that.

On the Sky, Ben Howard is a fine choice because of location and sheer size although most newbies will find the going better on the other side of the river, assuming most of you are right handed. Usually I try to get beginner RH casters on river right. But, if the wind is up it won't really matter.

Pwoens (sp), you started this whole thing. Do you have a preference for days? Can you make it next weekend?

Speybum, I was going to email someone over there to see if you wanted to participate so I am glad you saw this. I would love to cast one of your Loop rods.

Circlespey

#26 ·
Sunday would be out for me on such short notice.
Saturday is a different story I just close up shop and go.
If the weather is nice expect lot of tubers.
:smokin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.