Aluminum boat for Skagit searun, big lake, crabbing, & near shore salt fishing?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Josh, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Last fall, a buddy of mine from this board took me out for a day on the lower skagit fishing for searun cutts. We went out in his (12ft?) aluminum skiff and it was a grand 'ol time. And of course, made me want one of my own.

What should I be looking for in an aluminum boat? I'd likely use it for the type of stuff I listed in the title:

-Cutts on the Skagit
    -some salt fishing
    -placing a crab pot or two (I'm not a big crabber, but friends are)
    -Lake fishing on motor-allowed lakes from time to time
    -Taking friends and kids out for a putt around and dropping a line in

What size of a boat does it take to hold 2 adults? What about 2 adults and 2 (small) kids? What kind of bottom should I be looking for? Seems like a john boat would be fine on a river, trouble in the salt. But a deep V seems a bit much for the freshwater. Then again, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Finally, budget is in the $750-1750 range and it has to be able to be pulled by my Ranger.

2. I have a little 14' Smokercraft thats a good little boat. Mine only has a 10 hp but is rated for 15. I take my daughter all the time also took my buddy and his 2 sons (big Kids), at least 600 lbs on board and handled it just fine trolling Riffe in an unexpected storm 3 miles from the dock. Last note the boat is rated for 750 lbs plus 15 hp motor its pretty lite, easily towed and has built in floatation in the benches and floor. Cost $500.

3. That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, and a nice price as well. You see another one, let me know!

4. I have a 12 ft gregor welded with a 15 hp outboard on it even though its rated for a 20. The 15 hp with me and my dad, plus crabpots, anchor, battery, and fishing gear does 23 mph, plenty fast. It used to be used on the Sacramento river and has been a great boat for me. On the river we have had me, grandpa, dad, and sister in it without any problems. It would do everything it sounds like you would want it to. If you have any questions shoot me a pm. This ones not for sale just giving you an idea as to what you might want to look for.

Clint

5. I'd go for at least 14 feet or even 16. You can push a 14 with the same power as a 12 and it's roomier and safer. Your ranger won't know the difference. Try searching craigslist. Small boats are a blast. Make sure your outboard is in good shape. I use a 14 Lund and see tons of them in AK so they must last. The 14 Lund with a 15 is enough for two adults 2 kids and gear. Although it's better to be slightly overpowered.

JR

6. There's a 14 gregor (welded is better than riveted) on the Seattle Craigslist, in Port Townsend. A bit more than your budget but could be good.

The motor should pump water and not have any signs of overheating on the powerhead (i.e. burnt paint).

JR