Aluminum boat repair

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by nutsack angler, Nov 9, 2008.

1. nutsack angler

nutsack angler newb

Does anybody know of a place that repairs aluminum boats in south puget sound? I have a couple holes at the seams that are probably worth more to fix than buy a new boat but figured I would at least look into it.

2. tomc

tomc Member

I know Zielger Steel in Olympia does a nice job. I have had them do some Al. work for me in the past and thier guys are very good with AC Al. This comes from me as a welding Inspector:ray1:
    Tom C.

3. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

If the holes at the seams are small ones, I have had good success making similar repairs on my aluminum boat by using 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200. It is durable, flexible, and bonds well. I have tried several epoxies and J-R Weld(cold weld). They didn't work as well as 3M since they would often chip off particularly when on the bottom of the boat. A tube of 3M is about $10 and might be worth a try. You should be able to get it at any boat supply store.

Roger

4. skirkpat

skirkpat New Member

5. nutsack angler

nutsack angler newb

It turns out the repair cost exceeds the value of the vessel so it's going to scrap unless someone wants a project???

6. Frig23

Frig23 Cant stop...

Umm i work for a drift boat in Alaska and we patch our holes with splash zone.. Dont know if you have heard of it before but the stuff is pretty amazing.. Seamar or seattle marina will have it or be able to get it.. Not sure if your really that close to seattle or anything seeing i am from eastern washington.. cost around 100 bucks...

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nutsack, what kind of boat is it? Driftboat? I may be interested if it is.

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Hey nutsack, you ought to at least try to get an estimate on having those holes welded. It might not be as expensive as you think. I have had welding done on my cast aluminum mower deck, which involved rejoining broken off parts of the deck, and bridging holes and gaps where I had lost some of the broken off pieces.
    I stripped down the mower to a bare deck, cleaned everything up myself, as much as I could before taking it in. The "major" job I had done at a commercial welding shop only cost me $70.00/ hour shop time, and totaled about $130.00.

Another time I had a minor job done at another commercial shop for only $35. One other time a friend had shown up in my driveway with his welding equimpment on his truck, and I bribed him with a beer to weld a crack in the deck.

All these were on cast aluminum.

My 16' aluminmum johnboat has some welds on it that repaired a rip in the gunwale where a tree fell on it. Its ugly, but does the job.
    I plugged some old bolt holes in this boat by using some "underwater" epoxy stick and making sure I formed a good rivet head on both sides of the hole. The epoxy has worked well for me. I haven't had any of it crack out yet.

The 5200 stuff is probably the best stuff for using as a sealer/gasket between two surfaces if you have to rivet on a plate to cover a hole or rip.

My .02, as it might not be as difficult or expensive as you think.

9. nutsack angler

nutsack angler newb

It's a 12' Lund and the lowest estimate was around $600- not worth it.

The boat got loose in a storm and was pushed up against some logs where it was pounded for quite some time resulting in numerous holes/cracks/dents to the hull.

10. johnnyrockfish

johnnyrockfish Member

Google "gluvit". depending on the extent of your issues it may help.

JR

11. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Gluvit wont take care of that. Lund is a thin walled boat, repair is not going to be cheap as you found out. Sorry but I'd say it is time for the recycler!

12. johnnyrockfish

johnnyrockfish Member

luckily it's a good time to be shopping for small aluminum boats on craigslist!