Aluminum Fly fishing Drift boat refurb project.

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by jcalderon, Mar 5, 2009.

1. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Thanks for the trip mike! And youre always welcome in my boat! The rhino lining, and wiring will be done this week. I have taken several pictures of the dissassembly portion, and soon I will have a full write up. Thanks for everybodys interest so far, I will keep you all posted.

2. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Did you write the number down for the Male Enhancement pills? Mike Wilson would be interested I am sure :rofl:

3. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Media:
    Only to purchase some for you my friends in need. I know how much you struggle with those kind of things. Never been a problem for me, but some people require a little priming to perform. I do believe you went fishless on the Sol Duc too. Hooked one but your line went limp on the first jump. See what I mean?:beer2:

4. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    ouch!!!! I SURENDER

5. kjt111

kjt111 Member

Just a quick caution. Have you checked the trim of the boat if you have one angler up front and one in the back (where there currently isn't a seat)? Most of these boats set up for NW steelheading with the bench seat up front are designed to have one or two anglers fore. Many of these boats have narrow transoms which means that if you put a guy in the back, you'll be sitting kinda low and the water's going to have a tough time sliding under the boat - this'll lead to it being a pain to keep stopped in the current. At a minimum, you might want to consider some sort of modification to allow adjusting the position of the rower's seat with an additional set of oarlocks further forward.

6. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    I have thought of that actually, And I have had a fisherman in the back before sitting on a cooler and actually it performed a little bit better. I assume its because the front of the boat is much wider than the rear, meaning that when there is enough weight in the front to make it "skid" there is more contact surface on the rocks, which causes it to stop. It seems when a fisherman is in the aft of the boat, the front is lifted up a bit and seems to glide over rocks easier... You do catch a little bit in tha back, but everytime i have had the boat hung up in shallow water, it has been contacting in the front. Also, the gluvit should definitely help.

7. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Media:
    Jesse, come on get up some pictures. Don't make me come over there to see what's up. We are chomping at the bit to get a look see.:hmmm:

8. ozcast

ozcast Member

Media:
    I have an old glass Sliderite and am going to do the exact same thing...for the same reasons. Do you know where to mount the rowers seat and back seat so the balance is ok? I had a buddy sit in the back of my boat to see how it re-acted and almost blew a drain plug in shallow water. My rowers seat is pretty far back, and is also set up for 2 in the front. I would like to keep the 2 slide seats up front and have one in the back. My hull is the same as a lavro, but cant find any measurements online as far as seat placement. Can anyone with a clack or hyde tell us how far from the stearn the back seat is and how far from the stearn the rowers seat is? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

9. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Weight distribution is based on where the seats go, as well as who is sitting in each seat. Obviously, if you are only carrying one passenger, put him up front. I have noticed that my boat does well with one guy up front, or one in front one in back, but not just one guy behind the rower.

Food for thought

10. ozcast

ozcast Member

Media:
    When I put the guy in the back, I also had one up front, but the bow still went way up, and the back went way down. I think the problem is my rowers seat location. Its only 58 inches from the back of the boat. I think the Hydes and Clacks are in the 70" range or so. Hopefully, with the rowers seat mounted closer to the center of the boat, I can have someone back there and it will balance out ok. My biggest issue is that I am going to fab all the new "guts" out fo fiberglass, and once I secure them in...its done. If its out of balance, Ill have to start all over, and its a big enough project that I only want to do this once.

11. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Weight distribution really is key, and being mindful of how much weight is in the boat vs what maneuver you're planning on. I had a rude awakening as I dinged a rock pretty good a few weeks back just because I'm not used to having 3 in my boat, usually just 2... have some sanding and epoxy/graphite work to do on the chine. Fortunately the wood is perfectly fine. Figured out what the crunch sound was once I got her home, god what a horrible thing to hear. But I'm glad the epoxy/graphite shattering was what absorbed the impact, as designed. Okay I'm just babbling off topic.

12. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    lets see the PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!

13. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Kirk, Check the trailer post. That is as far as the project has come thus far. More pics to follow as I have the front end of the trailer completely finished as of last night.

14. TylorStrand

TylorStrand New Member

Media:
    sorry jessey, well not really but i have just been blessed with a new baby girl as of sunday morning, so i have some welding to do on his trailer, but i want to take in my girls first couple weeks so i am slowing things down, but trust me its lookin good

15. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Take your time brother! And congrats again on the new baby girl! cant wait to meet her