Am I that desperate?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by GAT, Apr 16, 2014.

1. GAT

GAT Active Member

After last Saturday's dismal fishing results, I'm considering making that extra hour drive both ways to fish a lake on the Oregon coast called Munsel. It is known for the larger than normal trout in the coastal lakes but there are fewer of the critters.

I'm keen to try some of my experimental WBs, softhackles and leeches .... especially that light olive and black hackle WB that worked briefly for me last Saturday.

Here's the rub... in addition to the extra miles to drive, there is a 60% chance of rain. Now, I've fished in the rain before and when I was younger, it didn't bother me. And sometimes it has no effect on the bite, sometimes it does. This is especially true with the coastal lakes because wind normally comes in along with the rain... which is normally cold.

So... how much do I really want to suffer just to try new patterns? Longer drive. More gas money. Very good chance of cold rain and wind which could result in zippo trout.

Think... think...

I doubt if any of my current fishing buddies would be interested in rolling the dice so it will be a solo trip if I go...

Think... think..

Maybe they've screwed up the forecast and it won't rain... but if it does... dang. This flyfishinig thing becomes more complicated as I grow older and cheaper.

2. You'll never know if you don't go. If you have the means, just do it.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  3. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Gene, it sounds like the script for a duplicate of last weeks disappointment. Longer drive, possibility of bigger fish but damned few of them, potential for rain and going alone. My experience after 20 some years on the west side was that if rain was predicted it would probably rain. And if it wasn't predicted it will probably rain anyway. Over here on the east side the predictions of rain are oftentimes just wishful thinking.

Good luck with your dilemma. And keep your powder dry!

Ive

Islander likes this.
  4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Fishing in shitty wet weather is just part of the game if you live on the west side of the Cascades.
    If you wait for good weather, you'll likely not fish much.
    SF

5. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Active Member

Go for it! Those new patterns might land you the fish that makes the trip worth while.

6. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

lol are you really a fly fisher? there's no thinkin, go fish it!

7. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

DON'T DO IT GAT!

You might get your shorts wet and they shrink up on ya. Then where are ya??

8. GAT

GAT Active Member

When I was a "young flyfisher" I wouldn't think about it. I would go no matter what... and once would. Now that I've fished many decades and caught a ton of different species of fish, I pick my battles a bit more than I did when I was younger. I've been burned far too many times and with the price of gas as it is nowadays and the terrible MPG I get with the ol' F150 ... the trips are expensive when I'm fishing alone. If I could find some other fool to roll the dice who'd pay for half the gas, that's another story. The trip would cost me 25-30 bucks.

But I'm still crazy enough that I might risk it. I'll keep checking the weather forecast but when it comes to the coastal lakes, when they indicate there is a 60% chance of rain... that's not good.

...I still want to try those experimental patterns... but is it worth 30 bucks if I end up blown off the lake and skunked? Oh, the dilemma.

9. pond monkey

pond monkey Member

Hi Gene,
    I have fished Munsel a lot in the spring over the years…..now that I am living in Portland it is no longer an option…I have also fished Cleawox a lot and that would be a much better bet in my opinion since it will be stocked this week …..and with "trophies" and "largers"…
    Another thing, you can avoid windy conditions by fishing the little bay just north of the primitive boat ramp that is right there where you first come in to the park and see the lake…..We always do well there under marginal conditions and better… we are alway using micro leeches under bobbers and fishing down 6-8 feet in there…PM

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  10. GAT

GAT Active Member

They're planting most all the coastal lakes this week. I've fished both Munsel and Cleawox when one or the other was dead... they're only a half hour away from each other. Munsel doesn't seem to have the same bank angler pressure on it as does Cleawox so I was leaning that direction.

They've changed the weather report for Florence... now the forecast is 80% chance of rain with wind gusts up to 20 mph... it's going backwards from what I wanted.

Both Cleawox and Munsel are semi protected from the wind but there is always a point where a storm can blow you off either lake. It would be no dilemma if the lakes were an hour closer. I'd give them a try regardless of the weather report. The money spent for gas is my stumbling block. It comes down to risking wasting gas money or not.

It's still early in the season. There will be other trips on down the line that won't be so iffy weather-wise.

11. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Gene..."the rain is good"...

Just think of the grass to be mowed and the fish you will catch??

It's all good :p

12. GAT

GAT Active Member

This is why I wanted to hit Munsel. This photo was taken during this time last year:

Jay at Munsel_edited-1.jpg

Of course the joke is on me. I misread the planting report!!! They don't plant Munsel with the larger trout until next week!!!

Hopefully, I won't have the same dilemma for next Saturday.

So.... never mind. :rolleyes:

FinLuver likes this.
  13. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Active Member

80% chance of rain and gusting wind to 20mph...
    Might need to tie more fly's and save gas money.
    That sounds shitty!

14. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Fish it, fish it, fish it, fish it....

15. GAT

GAT Active Member

I will... next Saturday... I'm a week too early! :eek:

What an idiot.... (meaning me)

16. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

Gene, if you are gonna travel how about an early trip to Diamond? It's 100% ice-off as of today. I'm gonna give it a go for a couple days early this coming week. I know it's early and the water will be in the 40's but I just can't stand not to go! :D

The little lake I was gonna fish today that has the Blackwaters is still snowed in and I can't get to it yet. 2-miles from the lake and it's snow drift blocked. :(

Randy

17. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Gene...expect to fish "wet"...10 day forecast calls for rain as well...(but, hey it's Oregon...ya know what that means?) ;)

18. GAT

GAT Active Member

Randy, one of these days, I should really try Diamond ... it's on my to-do list.

Fin... only part of Oregon is wet... there's a huge desert on the eastern side!:)

19. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

But that eastern side is full of remote desert mountain streams and full of different forms of Redband trout. For pete sakes Steens Mountain Wilderness has the first Redband trout preserve! All you need there is an Elk Hair Caddis to nail em'.