Amazing Alaskan King fishing in 3 feet of water

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by muknuk, Jul 14, 2013.

1. muknuk

muknuk Member

In a time when most of the King fisheries have been shut down in Alaska I wasn't overly optimistic about our chances on spey fishing for large, fresh kings. I finally was returning to one of my old haunts, but was worried when the group before us was only able to land 3 kings in 3 days. My experience 2 years ago was amazing and was I was hoping for anything close. After 3 plane rides, and a short hop in a Super Cub we landed in the remote stretches of the Bering Sea. The water was dropping and clearing, so we were a bit more hopeful. What makes this place so amazing is that you can catch chrome bright kings up to 45 pounds on floating line with unweighted flies. There are few places if any where you can have this type of experience. The other reason is that the remoteness and weather keeps the pressure to a bare minimum. The first 5 cast I hooked into 4 fish and in the next 3 days we consistently hooked in double digit numbers fishing only a few hours a day. I can only dream about returning again in the near future. If you think your fly club would be interested in the full details of this trip I would be happy to share this experience. Please contact me for available dates and times. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Jslo likes this.
  2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Sounds like fun!

3. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Sounds like a great trip but 3 plane rides + a Super Cub and Bering Sea equals $$$$. Bit outta my tax bracket, damn it!

4. Josh Stroud

Josh Stroud Active Member

Bad ass man!

muknuk likes this.
  5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    When is John scheduled for shoulder surgery? :D I've not yet caught a King on a fly rod... that must be a workout. Thanks for sharing.

muknuk likes this.
  6. Jslo

Jslo Active Member

Media:
    Amazing stuff! WOW love it. Got it on the bucket list now lol.