America's Wacky Winter Weather

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Trapper Badovinac, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I don't care how much it snows here in Dillon. Dillon sits in a flat plate so getting around is fairly easy. The only hill I have is where the road crosses the RR tracks.

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Here in Cornvalley, there are many residential areas sitting on hills so the streets up and down to the houses are fairly steep... after all, it never snows here so when they designed the city, they didn't worry about inclines.

Well... they do now.

The snow is a foot deep and expected to become deeper overnight. This means the folks who live on the hills us must park their rigs at the bottom and trudge up the snow to their homes... then back down again in the morning.

It's nice to live on a hill in the woods until it snows and the street is too damned steep and slick to drive up.

I think the last time it snowed this much in this part of the Valley was sometime back in the 80s. This is very rare for this part of the state.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. JohnB

JohnB Member

Pretty shocked in CV right now. In the December storm Witham Hill was quite the show. I'm enjoying this storm with a fireplace and whiskey and not even bothering to go outside yet.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

-18 in Polson this morning. Warmed up to 4 when the sun broke out.

Kyle Smith likes this.
  5. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Media:
    Our daytime high was colder than tonight's overnight low. How often does that happen!

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I'm enjoying the climate change... change is good.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Yesterday we had a high of minus 7. Last night it only got down to minus 11. This morning it is minus 4 as we speak. But it is snowing out. I think my truck will start today.

Gotta be nuts to like it and live here in Montana. But the 10 day outlook is for warming up. 30 degrees on the plus side is a lot better than anything on the minus side.

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Here, it's supposed to warm up and start raining next week and continue to rain... that translates into the flooding act of the play. Lake Trump will form again in our backyard.

But we'll take the common rain over the freezing variety.

9. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Is Oregon going to stock Lake Trump? I might want to bring my new
    Outcast float tube down and fish it. :rolleyes:

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

No, I won't let the ODF&W manage Lake Trump... they'd end up killing the native and wild species of everything in my backyard. ...and I mean everything. They'd call it " enhanced angling opportunities".... which is code for wiping out any wild and native species that stands in their way.

Olive bugger and Old Man like this.
  11. Olive bugger

Well, we could use it for casting practice.

12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I don't need to practice casting... I need to practice catching :)

We were supposed to go on our annual coastal lake fishing trip next Saturday but now it depends on the weather and the roads.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  13. Olive bugger

Weather and driving conditions don't seem to bother the fish.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    We care in the middle of a heat wave. This is the first day it has been over zero in three days. It hit 22 on the plus side today, but now it's cooling off again as it gets later in the day. Probably cool off to single digits tonight. I can live with that.

15. GATOR9

GATOR9 Hey you guys

I don't know why any sane person would want to live with that. You may have to put crazy in from of Old Man.:confused:

16. Olive bugger

You have to excused OMJ. He has ice in his guides/

17. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    It's probably ice in my brain. Shit, it's been snowing since last night. But this snow and cold doesn't bother me. It's a lot better than icy rain. Besides I get to river fish all year around. But it's called fishing instead of catching. So I'm getting in lots of practice.

18. GATOR9

GATOR9 Hey you guys

Sad to say OMJ that some your Mt. snow has reached Yakima. We have had a winter weather warning of 4-6" snow tonight up to 4:00am Sunday. I would have to say that we have 12" or close now. I shoveled 3" this pm and now will have to get the roof rake out for tomorrow. I really do hate snow. If god wanted me to live in this stuff he would have made me a polar bear or penguin, instead of a dumb ass living in snow country. I really do hate this stuff. I know I could leave but with 8 g/kids all w/in two miles g/ma would not go for it, and I still hate this stuff.:(

Old Man likes this.
  19. Olive bugger

We got a dusting of about 3" last night. Anybody wants can come and get it. I don't need it.

20. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Folks who have lived her all their lives have never seen so much snow... about 18 inches. Now it's raining and driving in the deep slush is much more difficult than driving in deep snow. Even in 4X4 the Explorer is all over the place. It's like riding a drunken mule to reach a main street from our place. I hate slush.

Here's the neat part. The wet snow is causing tree limbs to break around town and they are falling on power lines. So we keep losing power. I have no idea if I'll complete this post before the power goes off again.

I don't remember these type of power problems occurring in La Grande when I grew up there and it snows there every winter.

I was watching the Olympics last night and the power went off again at 9:00 and I said the hell with it and went to bed. Virginia read her New Yorker with a flashlight. They must have fixed the problem during the night because at this point, we have power again.

We normally take Mia on a forest hike on Sunday's but that ain't happening today.

If the power manages to stay on, I'll work on my Metolius slide show and hopefully, post it later today.

This is no longer fun.

(evidently we are the only people in our neighborhood with a snow shovel... we're the only ones who shovel off our sidewalk so the town folk walk in the streets instead of on the sidewalks... that makes driving while avoiding the walkers even more of a challenge)

Good times. Good times.