Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Amnesia

Spey 
2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  c1eddy 
#1 ·
does this stuff sink?

#4 ·
You will be hard pressed to find a big difference in mono shooting lines. Amnesia straightens with a good pull, and its cheap. I load 100' on at a time, at 4 bucks a spool, and 2 bucks a summer its hard to beat. One thing I have noticed is the black color is harder and doesn't straighten as well. Plus it comes in three fancy colors, so finding one that contrasts with your head is cake. :D

#5 ·
amnesias hard to beat. what it comes down to with the stuff though is what pound test do you prefer. ive played around with 20-40lb tests, and have found 30lb to be about the right combo of diameter and memory. 30 is roughly .022'', as is maxima high vis, which is actually even cheaper. not sure what the gl shooter measures out at, but last i checked, its over 5 times as much as amnesia.

#6 ·
As an absolute lover of many lines by Maxima I have to say with assurance, STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM MAXIMA HIGH VIS! That line has the worst memory of any I have tried, it is so bad, it makes the line worthless for just about any fishing application.

#9 ·
Varivas is another alternative-it does float.
That stuff is hollow right? The GL shooter is hollow which may help it float but it gets bad kinks that weaken the line more than I think a solid core would but I have never used solid mono. does the varivas kink up easily?

hollow vs. solid mono might not be that big of a deal if they both shoot the same but when the kinks finally split on my GL shooter after 4 months I felt like it had something to do with something.

#8 ·
Another application....

I use amnesia for all my butt sections on all my rods,; single and two handers. You can chage out indicators and leader without any abraison and virtually no memory. I can keep one butt section on for an entire summer of trout and steelhead fishing. The red amnesia can also work as an indicator when swinging softies and high sticking without an indicator. The stuff just plain rocks.

#10 ·
Yes varivas will kink.
I haven't found a mono yet that doesn't kink though I'm testin some new stuff tomarrow that's promising and cheap.
One bad aspect of hollow mono's is that in freezing conditions(god forbid that you fish in such conditions) is that small cracks form that can let in water which can freeze in the air promoting even more damage.bawling:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.