An Afternoon of SRC Madness-Hood Canal

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, Jan 10, 2010.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    My friend pulled in my house this afternoon about 1 PM. We were determined to find some SRC’s, or I was for him, since he is not retired yet, so the weekends are his only escape for fly fishing adventures right now. I went out Friday afternoon to a spot on the Hood Canal with only one cutt to show for myself for 3 hours of afternoon fishing by myself, and that fish came unbuttoned. So, I feel the responsibility to locate some fish during the week so I can put my pal on them when the weekend rolls around. We threw our gear in my truck and headed out to a different place on the Hood Canal where I have had some fair success, and I know the water level relative to the tide is about right for finding fish there. We parked and headed down the trail to the beach. It was nicely overcast day and our hopes were high for some action in the somewhat slow winter thus far. We wandered through the nice trail into the woods, huck, and salal and finally reached our beach at about 2 PM. We strung our rods and stepped on down to the shoreline. I think it was my first cast and I had a hit just before picking up my line for another cast. I yelled over to my friend that I just had a follow. He moved down the beach farther and almost hooked up immediately with a nice cutt of around 17 inches. I also hooked up so we had a double going on. I think my first fish was about a 14 inch plus fish. We were separated by about 300 feet and we began yelling over to each other “fish on”. We proceeded to catch some nice cutts, and missed a few takes. We each landed around 5 fish apiece in the 16 to 17 inch range. They were very fat and solid fish. It was hot and then it cooled down as the tide ebbed further. This particular beach seems to fish best when the tides are a little higher in the 7-11 foot range, but maybe I’m dreaming. Anyway, it was a very nice afternoon on the Hood Canal and my responsibility for putting us on some cutts paid off. We were two happy old men after our 2-1/2 hour adventure.

2. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    Larry those cutties are incredible, good job! I think you were spot on about going after them at that tidal stage.
    Nice to see someone have a good time today.

3. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I'm sitting here jonesing for a single hit, and you stack up several nice fish. Your only mistake was leaving the background in the last shot, which I am now triangulating with the help of google earth.

4. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Beautiful.

5. wannafish

wannafish In search of Blinky...

I got my skunk on today at several south sound beaches. I only had the morning half, so I was pinned high on the beach with the high tide. I ended up mostly exploring with maybe 1/2 hour fishing at each spot. I was sure I was gonna hit it big because I forgot the camera, but not this time!

6. Mark Greenwood

Mark Greenwood Member

Nice job Larry. Looks like you called it. Nothing for me at the north end today, but it was a nice day to get out.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Sweet report Larry, thanks for sharing. Might want to send that second photo to Leland to enter into some Orvis contest or something. Nice fish, nice reel!
    Seems that you found some fish that like your special frozen treats too!

8. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    good job larry. I won't be going out for a while, at least for a couple weeks, have a little one due any day now..

9. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Way to go Larry.

10. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    looks like the worm has turned for you Larry
    way to go!

11. dryflylarry

Media:
    My little "Popsicle Stick" did the trick for me again. (Special frozen treat as Mumbles says...) I was using it in size 6. Funny how you get hung up on one fly for awhile. It's hard to change up while you are catching. My friend put on a chumbaby and got a couple fish on it. Later, as the tide ebbed, a small school of baitfish (or chum fry?) moved in front of me, but I think the fish had moved out by that time.

12. Annie Rutherford

Annie Rutherford Washington Native

Media:
    Great report, me and some friends went out friday Ryfly got one, makes me green with envy. Thanks for leaving the fly in the pic.

13. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Annie:

You got some great water over there on Hartstene.

MB

14. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

very nice Larry, that woudn't be the Toandos penninsula in the background?(i coudn't help myself) and i just wanted to say amen to your response on the high tides post as in "just look around" ...those questioning whether it's fact or fiction are probably still sporting "sportsmen for bush" bumperstickers..........

15. Tyler Watters

Tyler Watters Stickin' pigs.

Great fish!! The one in that second picture looks like a football. Man I wish I didn't work from dark till dark.

16. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    Hey congrats to you and the Mrs. Peter!
    You'll have to post us the dimensions of your "keeper". :)

17. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Larry, those are some quality fish! Beauties. A buddy of mine and I hit the South Sound yesterday, fishing from my little boat, and we were able to only scrounge up a couple of cutts and a couple of wee coho. We had to leave before the tide got movoing well in the late afternoon . . .

18. Scott Orness

Scott Orness Small fish in a big pond

Those are some HEALTHY CUTTIES! Nice work!

19. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Very nice fish Larry :thumb:

20. dryflylarry

Media:
    Tuesday Morning SRC Madness Update:

I decided to go get rid of the itch again, but went to a different beach again this morning. I hit the beach at about 9:30 as the tide was turning to come in. The beaches were off color this morning, but what the heck, I was there. Nothing was going on and I finally got a hook up with a very nice 16" male that jumped 5 times. It didn't give up for a good time. Quite a strong fish. I don't know how to tell a pre-spawn fish from a post spawner, but it was colored a bit and a strong fish. I got tired of the off color water and left after two hours but was satisfied for another day. The itch left! View attachment 28155