An Engraved fly reel

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Southernangler, Apr 19, 2013.

1. I was lucky enough to purchase a new Chris Henshaw fly reel, a trout reel 3 inches in diameter. Although it is certainly a beauty in and of itself, I thought it might be fun to engrave it.

Fortunately, I knew a first class engraver, Neil Hunt, of Nisswa, MN. Neil has made several very nice belt buckles for me, some of which I have given as gifts. Examples of his work can be found at NRHunt.com. Neil is a wonderful artist and quality guy, very nice to work with.

I sent him the reel and gave him complete freedom to come up with a design. He emailed me photos of his design attached to the reel. I approved it and asked only that he add my initials -- "MBC" -- discretely somewhere on the reel. He complied and today I received the reel. I was frankly overwhelmed by the excellent quality and thought I would like to share the end product with forum members. Neil seemed to enjoy the challenge the reel presented and I suspect he would be open to commissions from other interested anglers. And, I plan to fish this reel, not just display it in a glass case.

Southernangler

IMG_0507.jpg IMG_0509.jpg IMG_0510.jpg IMG_0511.jpg IMG_0512.jpg

dfl, Flyborg, Krusty and 8 others like this.
  2. Very nice!!

3. Stunning!!!!!

dfl likes this.
  4. Lights out... that is really nice! I'd be nervous to take it out for fear of a ding or scratch.

5. Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

6. Holy Cow, please don't drop it. :)

7. Damn!!!!!!

8. Shit oh dear!!!! That looks like something that would belong to the Queen!

Eyejuggler likes this.
  9. Go out and buy a cheap reel, transfer your favorite line to it and never take this out of the case you are going order to put in the center of your living room, for this gem!

10. Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

11. That's awesome! I say fish the hell out of it and enjoy it every day on the water.

12. That's fvcking an awsum looking reel, and in a 3' damn. That is a work of art for sure. Love the tensioned strap, You'll have lots of joy from that for decades. Then somebody else will, I'm envious.

13. Solid work, Solid work indeed

14. That sure is one nice piece of work!!

15. And the "MBC" engraving seems like a title from the noble peerage titles in the United Kingdom.

Maybe "Master of British Casting"? ;)

16. Stunning. I'd be afraid to let it ever see water.

17. I've got shotguns that have engraving....never even thought about fly reels. My wife is going to be pissed.

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  18. It's a fly reel, made and engraved for you personally. Not fishing it on every opportunity would be like investing in a '67 corvette stingray with a 427 and not driving it!

19. Definitly a piece of art!

dfl likes this.
  20. Scrolling down while reading the post, I'm thinking it's going to be ok, maybe a nice fish or fly. But really, that is truly lovely, something to cherish and pass down due to it's uniqueness and what it means to you.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan