"An Entirely Synthetic Fish: How Rainbow Trout Beguiled America and Overran the World

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bwillroll, Aug 3, 2011.

1. bwillroll Member

bellingham, wa, whatcom.
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I just finished reading this book by Anders Halverson. What an interesting read! I never understood the depths to which this fish has been promoted, and disbursed around this continent, and around the world. I learned a lot about environmental impact, hatchery flaws, whirling disease, Monatana's movement towards more responsible stocking procedures, the movement to save the westslope cutthroat, and how hard that actually is to do because of the interbreeding of cutts and rainbows. Has anyone else read this book? What did you think of it?
  2. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,525 / 0
  3. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +178 / 0
    "An Entirely Synthetic Fish: How Rainbow Trout Beguiled America and Overran the W

Dolly is synthetic, but I would not throw her out of bed.

If you really want to be depressed take some ecology classes and see how the desert and grassland ecosystems of this country have been totally altered.

The good news is that fishery stocks are slowly being restored, we are still thrashing our desert and grassland ecosystems with windmills, coal plants, cows, and virtually everything else.