An honest report!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Golden Trout, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

I always appreciate people who tell it like it is. I wonder how much time this forum will exist without water. Borrowed this thread from another site since some on this forum have expressed some interest in Coffee Pot lake.
    Deer Springs Lake is down 35 feet and continues to fall. The inlet creek is completely dry. The word is it won't be planted next year due to extremely low water levels. Unfortunately it appears Deer Springs Lake will be gone soon. At least a dozen other lakes in the Odessa area have gone dry. Next up on the chain will be Coffepot followed by Lower and Upper Twin.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    That's too bad. I grew up fishing that chain of lakes. I was sad to see Pacific dry up too. Haven't been out that way in probably 15yrs, but I had some great times out there.

3. Caveman

Caveman Member

it would be really hard to believe that Coffee Pot would dry up. That lake is at least 70 ft deep.....

4. Golden Trout

Are you familiar with Lake Baikal?

5. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    So GT what are you trying to say?

What is the main issue?

Provide some documentation or
    links that discribe what is causing this.

You know more than I.

Thanks

Dave

6. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

While some lakes are drying up, others are getting deeper. I have a place on Big Twin (Winthrop) and 4 years ago, it was dropping and causing a lot of concern. My neighbor who has lived on the lake for 20 years said it is all about the snow fall in the North Cascades. He remembered when there were cattle grazing in an area that was under water 4 years ago. (you could still see the barbed wire fence sticking up at that time). Now with two years of heavy snow fall in the mountains, the lake is up about 4 feet and a couple new ponds have appeared in the area. We really can't control the weather, so I guess we just have to wait and see on a lot of lakes! Big Twin is 45 ft deep, so it won't dry up any time soon! Rick

7. Caveman

Caveman Member

No im not.

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Lake Baikal didn't dry up

9. Golden Trout

If you are referring to the Odessa area as the issue, I can only relate to this with the area I live in. Ell Lake, Sidley Lake, and others have almost or completely dried up. The past two years of decent snow pack have not made a dent. My take on this would be that some bodies of water have had the surrounding water table drop below the lake bed thus disallowing the lakes to recharge. Some lakes have been blessed with springs which is only delaying the inevitable.

If you are asking me why this is all occurring, I will point directly at overpopulation and global warming.

I believe that lake Bikal was the world's deepest fresh water lake. I watched a documentary some years ago showing this lake with very large boats grounded in areas that were once very deep. If the world's deepest lake is in trouble than a 70ft Coffee pot lake does not seem immune.

Mark Yoshida likes this.
  10. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    I last fished Baikal back in the early 80's when I
    was in Siberia doing a job for a government. Ok we
    just talked about fishing and did way to much vodka
    and other things....pretty wild place back then.

What does a lake in Siberia have to do with EWa?

Sounds like a major reach to me.

Dave

11. ribka

ribka Active Member

I fished Baikal quite a few times in the 1990's . I still keep in touch with a Bio from that area. Not aware lake levels are receding.

Must be referring to the Aral Sea Which has been shrinking for decades.

So your argument is man made global warming caused Coffe Pot to dry up?Fishermen drive to lakes in their carbon emitting vehicles and cause global warming at least according to Nobel Prize winner/internet inventer/would be rapist Al Gore.

Simple solution: limit your fishing to areas accessed by foot or bike and sell your vehicle. Problem solved.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  12. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    GT, I went by Sidley a few weeks ago and it is a bit low, but no where near drying up. I will grant you the ecology of the lake is way off. There seems to be little weed growth and fishing is way off.

When I go fishing next weekend I'll just sell some of my carbon credits and all will be well, in the bank accounts of those brokering them that is...

ribka likes this.
  13. Golden Trout

Roper: Sidley is more than just "way off". I'm not sure how long you have been fishing this area but you have not seen Sidley lake "in the day". For many years I fished Sidley well into July. I garnered a petition (back when the game dept. would listen) to take the limit down to two fish. It was a pleasure to row the boat through a wide healthy channel into the frog pond where trout up to 4 and 5 pounds were waiting. Take notice, that channel is long gone and overgrown! Observe the fish in the lake, they roam the shore lines, fins out of the water, not interested in feeding, unusual behavior to say the least. I am sure the eagles are happier.

Political, anti-environmental, BS coming from fly fishermen is counter productive and serves no purpose on this forum. I will take the blame for starting the spin.

As far as Lake Baikal being "a reach". Simply an analogy that even deep lakes are at risk.

14. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Thanks for the history lesson of Sidley, you have anything good to say...?

15. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    I think there are two separate things going on.

First...Sidley had a side pond?? I have not been back in over 25 years, but all I remember is one large lake with no channel. Has Sidley had the residential development like Ell Lake?? The lake level at Ell Lake started going down as the homes started going up. Is it the same thing at Sidley?? Even with the recent wet years is the lake still going down??

We went through a long drought cycle in eastern Washington through the late 80's into the mid 2000's. My daughter was talking and well over a year old before she saw rain. I remember her asking what that stuff falling from the sky.

I suspect all that residental development in Okanogan County coupled with the almost two decade drought had a significant affect on those lakes.

Now Pacific and those lakes are affected by the pumping of water out of the Odessa aquifer. I believe the Department of Ecology issued the permits back in the 70's thinking that the next phase of the Columbia Basin project would be built and the pumping would stop. Well, the second phase was never built and the continued pumping has been a major effect on the lakes and streams in that area.

There is a proposal to pull water out of the Columbia and send it down Lake Creek to recharge the aquifer and refill the lakes. It looks like that proposal might happen.

16. Golden Trout

There has been some new homes built on Sidley over the past 10 years. And, there is no doubt that this has had a negative affect. The wet years have not had a positive "visual" affect on the lake which continues to drop. I suspect that the lake's ecology has also suffered. I say this because people are just not catching fish.

A popular ice fishing derby for kids produced "zero" fish this past February. This was a lake where you could regularly see many folks fishing from the bank from mid May throughout the summer because they were having success. Now, there is no one fishing because the water is so shallow.

It will be very interesting to see if the recharge you mentioned will have a lasting affect. I sincerely hope so.

Roper: Your welcome and I am happy to see rain and cooler weather last a bit longer.

17. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

and from what i have read. if there were no farming in the basin so to speak. there would be no Lenice, Nunally, etc. so give and take.

18. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    Go up to Summit Lake or some of the Forest Service lakes where the watershed is entirely on Forest Service managed land. Make sure that there are no water rights draining water from the area. Then compare to Sidley Lake. Forest Service lakes have probably gone down some due to all the trees growing in the area.

Not totally accurate, but that would give you an idea of if its weather or development.

My guess is that the Okanagon Highlands are much drier than people realize and some of those water tables may be perched. Do you know how deep the wells are around Sidley Lake??

Not totally accurate, but that would give you an idea of its weather or development.

Skyrise, the Columbia Basin was historically known as the "Great Columbia Desert". It is the only desert to disappear from us maps!! However, Crab Creek and Rocky Ford Creek were still there, but significantly smaller. The sad part is that the area of Banks Lake would have made a dandy park, but it is all underwater now.

For those that believe in climate change, I do think the Columbia Basin project did change the weather. It is the cause of damn winter clouds and high fog that we get around here in the winter. The old timers blame the dams, but I actually think it is the increased humidity and soil moisture due to the irrigated farmland. I would give up fishing in Lenice and Nunally for clear skies in the winter.

19. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Vladmir nailed it on ell. I was only about sixteen when all the houses started going up around ell. Even at that age I could see that all the wells being sunk were going to effect the water table on that one. It was pretty obvious. Even then the fishing rocked right up until the day the areator thingy went tits up. The weed growth chokes all the oxygen out of the lake without it.