An Inconvenient Truth

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by otter, Jun 25, 2006.

1. otter

otter Banned or Parked

Movie featuring Al Gore and global warming. The man stands tall. By a peculiar twist of fate, I was educated on these matters since about age four. If you want to tangle with global issues - and by the way i want to emphasize that these are not republican/democrat issues - then go see this flick. If you want your kids and grandkids to fish, then get your butt into gear. High gear. Because the longer we stall, the worse its gonna get.

Otter

2. islandfisherman

islandfisherman islandfisherman

Home Page:
    Right On Mr Otter!!!!!!!!!!!!......Alan

3. Choclab

Choclab another damn rookie

Al Gore sucks.....All I can say is "Manbearpig"

4. pastorbrian

pastorbrian Member

It seems that this might be more of a partisan issue than you make it out to be. Gore consistently bashes any on the right for the state of the environment. Any time any where, he uses his platform to take shots at GWB and Repubs. Environmental issues are bipartisan, but Gore certainly isn't.

PB

5. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Manbearpig is super, super serial.

6. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

That it may be an uncomfortable truth for some (or that Al Gore is a Democrat) does not invalidate the truth of the message. Not much mileage to be gained from bashing GWB anyway - his approval stinks and neither he nor Dick will be coming back after this ride is over.

I'm neither Democrat or Republican. Don't particularly like Al Gore, and think even less of GWB. If Al has a legitimate point to make, I'll listen. Ditto for GWB.

I personally feel this is a legitimate issue and transcends politics. It ~should~ be treated as a wakeup call for all people that occupy this planet Earth (100%last time I checked). ;)

my .02,

Brian

7. BigBill

BigBill Banned or Parked

Well said! As anglers we should set aside our varying beliefs on god and guns,(which is ultimately the determining factor for current partisan political alignment among most U.S. citizens) and all join together in protecting our environment, and ultimately our fisheries. Global warming(Global climate change is actually a more correct term for what is happening) is REAL. Lets refuse to allow our personal pride in our own ethics and morals stubbornly prevent us from conceding that we are all in the same boat, and the damn thing is going down quick!

8. Fish Hunter

Fish Hunter Too many people, not enough fish

Keep drinking that Kool aid Otter!

9. toddsbernina

toddsbernina New Member

Media:
    I'm no psychic(sp?) but i can see this going into a long drawn out political debate where no one wins. Then mingo posts a funny picture(i always look forward to these posts) then move on to the next political debate.

Guess what guys this is not a political forum so take it somewhere else.(see Forum Rules) If you really want to sit in front of your computer screen and debate shit that you personaly cant change, then bug the admins untill they put in a political debate section in and you can all go to town and leave the fishing forum to fishing.

Its time for a smoke break :cool:

10. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Financially, this "movie" has been a total disaster; to the point that (long time ago) Al Gore's name is on NONE of the advertising, posters, etc. Some how paying $10'ish bucks to watch a 'Power Point' presentation escapes me.:hmmm:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

11. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Per theater revs put it in top 5 nationally, Fred.

12. otter

otter Banned or Parked

im not talking about politics, or Jerry Jones ( just out of curiosity, what IS the relationship between Jonesville and global warming, other than the fact that they are both tragedies which could 'a been, should 'a been averted before they happened?), or Al Gore or Dubya (my guess it that THEIR temperatures are each about 98.6 F, so no sweat). What i'm talking about the elephant in the living room: global climate change. Whether this is a major change in the "natural" glacial/post glacial climatic cycle, or - as i am personally convinced, given a huge body of evidence accumulated by scientists from all nations over the last half century, that global industrialization is throwing the equivalent of avgas on the planetary greenhouse fire - is immaterial. Fact is, its here. Big, really ugly and not backing off. And i would like my son, and his sons and daughters to fish rivers of their dreams. So, in turn, i'm not backing off. Continuing to fish while saying habitat destruction - at any level - is "not my problem", just plain isn't in my vocabulary.

Otter

13. Porter

Porter Active Member

Soylent Green :) a better movie and really the direction we are moving...right? right? ....Ham sandwich on wheat w/ a hook in it?

:confused: me too!

14. Bryan Finney

Bryan Finney Member

Remember how the MF Snoq was fishing like September in May last year? If you liked the '05 snowpack, you and your kids will love the year 2040.

We could just wing it and hope it does not happen. But it seems as though 276 peer reviewed articles stating that Man is contributing to Global Warming, and 0 (zero) that says we do not, ends the argument.

dang science...

15. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, diaharia..... A legitamate question/debate, best left to a flaming OT forum.

16. 509

509 New Member

"We could just wing it and hope it does not happen. But it seems as though 276 peer reviewed articles stating that Man is contributing to Global Warming, and 0 (zero) that says we do not, ends the argument.

dang science..."

Hmm, I remember how well accepted the great floods of Washington were by the scientific community and lets not forget the warm welcome that the theory of continental drift got from the scientific community when it was first proposed.

Peer reviewed is just another word for peer pressure. Look at the science...real hard. So much of what passes for science these days is "politically correct".

But where the science meets the road is politics......Last summer there was a poll in England on what the country should do to meet the kyoto protocols. The choice was ban jet travel or the privately owned car. The poll was split. Half were willing to give up their holidays...the other half their cars.

So what would you be willing to give up?? Jet travel? One of the primary contributers to global warming. Your car? Makes commuting and fishing trips real difficult.

Jimmy Carter proposed to ration gasoline to 10 gallons per licensed driver in 1979 during the last "gas" crises. Would you accept that to deal with global warming?

So do you think Senators Murray and Cantwell will push for limits on jet travel or personal travel to meet Kyoto? Or do you have the feeling that this is all much ado about nothing? Yeah, lets just yell and point rather than do anything about it.....that way I win re-election and all my voters feel good about it!!!

17. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    all i have to say is that it is a real issue that my generation is probably gonna be left to try and fix.

oh... BTW that whole democrat republican thing is stupid.

18. Bryan Finney

Bryan Finney Member

Hmm, I remember how well accepted the great floods of Washington were by the scientific community and lets not forget the warm welcome that the theory of continental drift got from the scientific community when it was first proposed.

uh, 509. It was scientists and research who first developed those theories on the floods and tectonics. Eventually, the entire body of peer review journalism came to accept it as fact. Sort of like...global warming.

But this is a FF forum. So, let's just HOPE you are right and do nothing about Global Warming. I am sure the fish will adapt and evolve. Oops, sorry "evolution" is just a theory by crackpot scientists.

19. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    "But where the science meets the road is politics..."

heh! Joke, right?

Business is taking it pretty seriously right now. Even in the USA.

20. otter

otter Banned or Parked

The nest generation speaks. Wake up call, boomers?

Otter