An Introduction and Some Spey Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Stuart_Stringer, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Hello all,

I have been lurking on this site for a while now and I figured I should introduce myself and contribute something. So here are some flies I have been tying recently. I am just starting the foray into classic style salmon flies and have been really enjoying it!

First up I have a spinoff of a Winters Hope . I wish I had some purple Blue Eared Pheasant but the natural looks good enough. You may also notice that I am cheap and used synthetic Jungle Cock nails... One of these days I will pony up for the real deal.

image.jpg

Next is a Pitcroy Fancy. I followed the recipe from the John Shewey spey fly book so it lacks the topping found on the original. I really like how this one turned out!

image.jpg

Finally here is a Purple King.

image.jpg

Thanks for looking! And if you have any tips or critiques I would love to hear them!

Davy, Eyejuggler, plaegreid and 7 others like this.
  2. Very nice! Great way to introduce yourself to the site here! Welcome aboard!!

3. Welcome Stuart. Nice ties, I especially like your Purple King....

4. Welcome Stuart, and well done.

5. Very nice Stuart. There's a guy in Philadelphia that sells JC at not too bad a price as well as the guy in Estonia. Both on EBay and both whom I have purchased JC from. I can't tie presentation quality flies so I fish them and therefore buy the lesser grade JC and varnish or wax the split nails prior to tying. There is a meeting of Atlantic Salmon tiers, some of whom I know that are fantastic tiers, that is local and coming up soon! as well as the guys like Mark and many others here that you'll learn much from.

6. You need some real JC for those flies! I have a nice Grade B cape I use for rod building and the occasional fly. Definitely worth the investment imho! Blue eared pheasant is pricey, but a great material. I've got a little, and use it sparingly...

7. Welcome to the board. You tye a very nice fly, that first one is my favorite.

8. Thanks everyone!

Tacoma Red - what is this atlantic salmon tiers meeting that you speak of? Sounds cool!

9. You might want to take a look at classicflytying.com, if you're serious about leaning to tie these. Great place to get started with many master tiers to help, we get new guys all the time. Also I think what Tacoma Red is referring to is this www.asfi-expo.com, a must see
    event, first time in our area.There is also the North West Atlantic Salmon Fly Guild in the Seattle area.

10. Thanks Mark! Classicflytying looks like a great resource! That expo looks really cool too. Hopefully I can make it out there!