An SRC Virgin No More

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Mike Etgen, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    So I've got this flyfishing companion who I've been trying to convince to try fishing for SRC's in the salt. I've been hounding him relentlessly and finally convinced him to meet me at a mutually convenient spot so I could break him in. He's got years of trout experience but has never been in the salt going after SRCs.

We plan it so that we'll hit this place on a minus low tide and catch the turn, fishing a fairly narrow passage. It should work out that we should get in some decent fishing and still get home in time to see the Dawgs in the NC2As.

Of course, he's about forty-five minutes late and we've already missed the best fishing, as we experts all know how predictable those cutts are. I practice casting and presentation methods until he arrives. He pretends to be interested in what I'm using and how I'm presenting the fly, and at one point I show him just how easy it is while letting my fly drift free and looking in another direction. I expertly play the 10 inch coho and gently slip out the barbless hook, and I'm pretty certain my companion is impressed as well as ready, but I still have doubts about our prospects. :hmmm:

The tide had turned and the current picked up significantly. While I patiently demonstrate my proven method, my reluctant protege decides to apply the swing method in the strong current, and I try my best to dissuade him by example, continuing my rhythmic casting and strip-retrieval technique.

Of course, he ends up hooking a rather modest cutt, purely by luck, certainly a fish that was headed to my fly but had to get past my partner, who had by now low-holed me. He's really a little too excited for such a dink and plays it way longer than necessary, but I act like I'm happy for him, though I have to disagree with his exaggerated estimate that he has a 12 inch fish.

We measure and it's a 15 incher with a nice deep body and even a scattering of sea lice. bawling:

So of course I can't get him to give the proper method a honest try, even though he misses hooking up on most of his remaining strikes, though he does get one more dink. Myself, I've decided to try his swing method, just to humor him, but by now I'm so frustrated that I miss all of my strikes. Within a few minutes, the fish are gone, but we fish on long enough that I still miss the entire first half of the basketball game. :beathead:

He asks if I always do this well, and I tell him, it just gets better and better from now on out. I make a half-hearted promise to meet up with him again, but inside I know I'm lying. ;)

I hate being out-fished by beginners... :rolleyes:

2. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Nice story Mike. I have also caught quite a few cutts by letting my popper simply swing with the current with no strip. In fact, I've even riffle hitched it.

Leland.

3. wrench

wrench Member

Yup, know what you mean, I took some punk kid from WW carpin with me one time and the lucky little grasshopper outfished me......

4. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Mike,

Just so ya know, I heard a somewhat similar story from some guy named Warren. In his version your residenet silver was much bigger.

REE

5. wet line

wet line New Member

Mike, I know just how you feel!!

I will go along with humility for a bit but then I resort to THE tactic. I ask to see the wonder fly and examine it closely, and after petting it fo awhile I say, "the barb isn't quite pinched down, let me take care of it for you" cause I am a nice guy. Then I delicately break off the hook point!

Unfortunately the last time I pulled this ploy the guy responded it is a barbless hook and instanty pulled it out of my fingers and he hooked up with 170 pounds of me and wasn't to willing to let up on the pressure!! When the leader broke I jerked the fly out and screamed at him "Finders Keepers" and went off and nursed my wounds.

Dave

6. Warren Perry

Warren Perry Grizzly 6

Media:
    Mike,

Sounds like you need to pick a better class of fishing companion. ;) that guy doesn't need help catching fish, I (I meant he) might just need a lesson or 2 in fishing etiquette.....
    Late.... I bet he thought he was just being fashionable, nobody shows up on time do they? :rofl:
    Hey how did you know I (I mean he) was pretending? :D
    I'll bet he was impressed, I'm sure that fish was atleast 10 and 1/2 inches long, but you failed to mention wheather you hooked it in the mouth or the tail :rofl:
    I'll bet your technique looked really good, but I'll also bet that your companion thinks it is better to be good than look good ;)
    As far as I can tell the only 2 shreads of truth in your story is that your compnion was LUCKY and the fish measured 15 inches.

I do have it on good authority that your companion had an excellent time, fish or no fish. He is looking forward to another opportunity to fish with you if you can put up with his (my) BROTHER IN LAW tactics.

Warren