Anchor mounts on your toon

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Evan Virnoche, Dec 13, 2013.

1. could people post pics of what there runnning on their 1 ,2 or 3 person toons.

i need to outfit a better anchor pulley system.

I like this setup the best and looks to be the most efficient however im kinda hesitant to drill holes into the frame.
    pulley-system.jpg

Another option would be below. Has anyone had an negative experience with having a somewhat noodly mounting bracket?

pulley-system.jpg product_reviews20091221_clip_image016.jpg product_reviews20091221_clip_image018.jpg product_reviews20091221_clip_image020.jpg

2. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    There are two common systems that I have seen; one goes under the floor so the rope stays out of the way which is a nice feature but a pain in the rear if there problems with rope knots as you might imagine. This is a little more complicated with a pontoon or a raft and so many systems use pulleys. You would think that this would be prone to catching hooks into the rope but it does not happen as much as I would have thought (maybe because I have not had many beginners with me) and if using barbless hooks, it is still not a big deal.

While a clam cleat works well on single pontoon boats, when using multi-person craft with larger rope and heavier anchors, I prefer a LeeLock unit (see picture). It is just a much safer device than a standard clam cleat. What is an extra couple hundred bucks to ensure the safest anchoring mechanism possible? Of course this does not automatically eliminate problems with making poor boating decisions while on the water, it does eliminate accidently releasing the anchor in a bad situation.

As far as a "noodly" mounting bracket, I would suspect that is not a good thing but since our stuff is pretty stout, I have no noodly mounting bracket experience. :D

Attached Files:

3. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

I've always installed fairleads along the inwale to control that anchor line. In the boat in the top photo, I'd put 4 fairleads along the inwale, put the turning block way back aft, and thus recover all that space along the side of the boat. Fairleads are cheap, strong, and good at taming running rope. They make'em that clamp on pontoon/raft frames, too. I've never seen a leelock before, interesting. ​

4. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Member

On my Outcast pontoon, which I don't a picture available of at the moment, the rope threads inside the hollow pipe frame from the anchor at the rear of the frame to the point where it exits in front of, and beside, the rowers seat.

The nice thing about this is that the rope is protected and out of the way, more or less, but the bad thing is it is hard to raise the anchor, even the relatively lightweight anchor that I use on this one man, 10' boat.

Another option I could install, which might make raising the anchor easier - something you might consider - is a Harken pulley, which is what I have on my side mounted anchor in my Hyde drift boat. Here is a picture of it :
    [​IMG]

And, here is what Hyde says about this on their website:

"The next level of luxury for your drift boat side-anchor system. This ratchet pulley makes it easier to pull your anchor out of the water by automatically engaging a ratchet system built into the pulley when it experiences a load. The ratchet design only allows the pulley to spin one way when there is weight on the line (i.e. when pulling the anchor out of the water) while allowing the pulley to spin freely when there is very little weight (i.e. as you drop your anchor into the water)."

Hyde sells this pulley for $150, so it is not cheap, but I'm pretty sure you'd be able to buy one for less money elsewhere. (There a number of different ones on EBay for a lot less, but I didn't look in detail at the different types and models)

John

5. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Either Lowes Home depot sells an inexpensive "rope ratchet" pulley that works fairly well with a tight-weave 3/8" rope and anchors under 20 lbs. Buy the version with the metal sheave, the plastic-sheaved one is absolutely useless and is difficult to use. I currently use the metal-sheaved version with my 32 lb anchor and it has too much friction for me to pull with one hand.