Anchor system for 13' pontoon

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by emerger, Aug 20, 2009.

1. emerger

emerger New Member

I bought an Outcast PAC 1200 this summer and, based on a couple of trips down the Yakima, I have been very happy with it. This is my first fishing boat of any kind. One issue that I haven’t dialed in yet is anchoring. I would like to be able to stop the boat in moving current in order to work a particularly interesting piece of bank, or to change flies or land a fish without drifting aimlessly. The kind of thing you see drift boats do all the time. I’m aware that I need to be smart about where I try to anchor but I’m assuming this isn’t an unreasonable goal in a 13’ pontoon boat.

I found that a 20# pyramid anchor doesn’t slow me down sufficiently. I tried a 30# anchor but it was virtually impossible to heave it up using the standard anchor system. Even 3’ off the back of my trailer, my buddies agreed that 30# wasn’t practical and that the problem wasn’t just my weak arms.

My solution (hopefully): I added a pulley to the top of my anchor, based on ideas I dug out of the archives here. This required drilling a hole in my rear platform to tie off the working end of the anchor line and purchasing a $15 climbing pulley from REI (see attached). Off the back of the trailer, it works beautifully and truly feels like you are pulling up an anchor that is half the weight. I hope to field test it this weekend. I realize that I need twice as much rope with this approach but besides that, am I missing anything?

Scott

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

After following Jeff Bandy's drift boat on the Hoh for three days last fall I added a heavy duty "L" bracket and tied my working end off, added the pulley to the anchor and rerouted my anchor rope. I have found it much easier to hoist my small anchor. My "L" bracket is mounted to my rear deck's motor mount. I have it mounted so it reaches up then back to create a nice gap between the end where I have the rope tied off and the frame pulley. Your system looks great to me.

3. Ed, You got any pictures of your system. I have to install an anchor on my new toon.

-m

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Mike, give me some time and I'll shoot you some. PM your email.