Anchor system pulley and clamp info?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Kent Lufkin, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,228 / 0
    Anybody have an idea where I might be able to find the pulley clamps shown in the attached image? I've got a source for the ball-bearing pulleys (blocks) but am coming up blank for the clamps that attach them to frame rails.

TIA,

K
  2. Slipstream Active Member

Goldendale, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Kent, I've never seen that style of clamp before. They appear to have a hinge built into them. Do you think that electrical conduit clamps might be made to work? On my Supercat I was able to mount a small pulley to one of the clevis pins on the frame. Good Luck!
  3. Trout Master Active Member

Kent, try fisheries supply in seattle on northlake. Or look at their web site www.fisheriessupply.com , Sail boat rigging lots of different pulleys with clamps etc. Jim
  4. Riverman Member

USA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I bought an anchor system for my cataraft from NRS, the best one I have found anywhere.
  5. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +139 / 3
    Look to me like ordinary pipe hangers. Try ACE hardware, Lowes, Home Depot.
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,547 / 9
  7. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +703 / 5
    Those were specially machined at one time. The clamps anyhow. I'm sure they can be bought somewhere, where I have no idea. But I know Skookum had the "in" on those clamps for the longest time.
  8. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    And those clamps are topnotch. Been using them for years, and have not failed. Even when I used them on my big 16-18' cats with monster anchors. Never failed. Try contacting skookum.
  9. AndreD Member

Chico, N Cali
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I wanted those clamps for my blackbear frame too. I wcouldn't find them anywhere. I searched everywhere including all of our industrial catalogs here at work. What I did was used some clamps that Yakima uses for some of there car racks. So for I haven't had a problem and they are real similar in design to what bill days uses except they are plastic. Seem strong so far. I can get a pic later if yo want to see what I did.
  10. DaMurph Member

Graham, WA
    Kent,
    Are you going to put this system on a Steelheader? If so I have come up with a similar system that I have put on my boat and a few of my friends boats. The whole thing can be done under $100. Check out the Clamp-On" Pulpit Block from Schaefer Marine, This is the block I used to go from the anchor block to the ratchet block. (to run the rope around the frame) As for the anchor block, drill a 3/8th hole in the top rear cross bar and use a stainless eye bolt to hang your anchor block. You can use a block from Ronstan, Harken etc. for your anchor block. Up front in the drivers seat you can use the same "rope ratchet" that Steelheader uses connected to the frame with a galvanized conduit hanger. Everything used was bought at Fisheries Supply in Seattle but you can also find it all at Boaters World in Fife. The whole thing is set up for 5/8ths rope. I have pictures of my system but my computer is not allowing me to upload them so if someone wants to see them I can email and hopefully that person could put them up here.

This one was the key part and the tough one to find.
    http://www.fisheriessupply.com/onli... Inactive/Shopby/Shop By Department/Ns/P_Sort
  11. Mike Active Member

Someplace between here and there
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Those are Bullet blocks manufactured bay Harken. You can get them at West Marine.
  12. DaMurph Member

Graham, WA
    You are right Mike, West Marine is the place, not Boaters World. West Marine is the store near Sportco across the street from I-5 Motors.
  13. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    DaMurph sent me photos of his anchor system which we was unable to post. Questions regarding them should be directed to him, not me please.

K
  14. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Thanks Mike. The elusive component isn't the blocks but the clamps that hold them.

DaMurph: I recently bought a used Scadden Skykomish Sunrise that has a cheapo in-frame anchor system. I'm considering adding the larger rear deck I built for my Osprey to the Scadden frame instead of using the aluminum plate deck that came with the boat. If that works, then I'll need a replacement rear anchor pulley since the Scadden one is attached to the aluminum deck I wouldn't be using.

Since the Scadden pulleys are simple nylon rollers on a pin instead of nicer ball-bearing ones, my guess is that it'll take a fair amount of effort to use it to pull up a 10 or 13 pound anchor. If I can find a reasonably priced source for the components in the photo above, then I may just use them to replace the entire Scadden system.

K
  15. Mike Active Member

Someplace between here and there
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    You can tell I took the Evelyn Wood Sped Redden Course and passed with honors. Here are your clamps or at least what looks like your clamps. Who ever put that outfit together may be a machinist.
  16. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    You know, if you guys really don't plan on repositioning anything, you can simply do as DaMurph did in the anchordrop. It's what I've been doing for years on my boats until Bill came out with his clamps. Which, like I said, he had specially made for him. They are super slick, and probably one of the better frame mounted anchor systems out there. Seen them all, like his for sure. I just don't care for the ratchet though. I prefer another pulley back to a cleat.

But on my older custom cats, I simply got a heavy eye bolt, bent it out enough to fit a pulley onto it and bent it back into position. Then did a mock test on my frame with line attached (I'd zip tie the pulleys to the frame). Check to see where I needed to adjust and then drill into the frame and put the bolt in. Key is to make sure you put the bolt in the correct angle so the eyebolt isn't getting too much pressure on the sides of it (you want it to pull down at the bottom of the curve of the eye, not on the sides). Had that setup on my old custom whitewater frame until I got an extra setup from Bill Day. That sits on the boat now, minus the ratchet (like I said I have a cleat on there for the rope instead).
  17. AndreD Member

Chico, N Cali
    Here are the pictures of my system (If I can get the pictures to post) I have a pulley in the front that brings the rope back to my roller cam cleat by the seat. I use a rope guide in the middle of the frame to avaiod contact with the tubes and frame, a second pulley in the back corner and a final pulley in the back suspended on the SS eye bolt. You should be able to make out the Yakima clamps that I am using.
  18. Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Sammamish, WA
    nrs sells them.
  19. DaMurph Member

Graham, WA
    Kirk,
    Do you have a direct link? When I was fabricating my system I looked everywhere including NRS and even they did not have a clamp like the Skookum clamp. NRS has however get a lot of my $ over the years. I just checked their website and could not find anything like the correct clamp.
  20. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    I had a chance to visit Fisheries Supply in north Lake Union last week. I spent some time browsing in their amazing selection of sailing hardware and found the spring-loaded clamp/pulleys that DaMurph used on his boat. Sadly, at $135 EACH for those jobbies (the large size to fit the 1-1/4"od tubing on my frame, I decided that the cost for Bill's clamp/pulleys was MUCH more reasonable than I had originally thought. Back to the drawing board.

K