anchor

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by m.albrecht@comcast.net, Apr 19, 2009.

1. m.albrecht@comcast.net

m.albrecht@comcast.net Member

I have a new eight foot South Fork Pontoon Boat. I have not used a pontoon boat before so what do you suggest for a weight size for an anchor? Again thanks for the info!

2. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

On my south fork I use a 10lb priamid style anchor. Bought it at Joe's. Was alot cheaper than buying from a fly shop.

3. ral

ral Rich Layendecker

Try without an anchor. I have used a pontoon for 10 years and never use one in lakes except for very windy days and don't use one in rivers. To answer your direct question I use a 10 lb pyramid for the few times (once or twice a year out of 30+ times/year on the water.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I have an 8lb and 10lb for my 9' pontoon and before that used an 8lb on my 8' pontoon. I've heeded the advice here about anchoring in rivers and only anchor in a river while on the bank. In lakes I've found the 8 and 10 more than enough to hold me in all but the stiffest of winds.

You might also consider fabricating or buying a mesh "anchor bag" and fill it with rocks at the river. Nearly weightless until you fill it, just a thought. I've never used one, but one came stock with my newer pontoon. If that intrigues you shoot me a PM, it could be yours for cheap. It came with a line that I'm not using also.

5. m.albrecht@comcast.net

m.albrecht@comcast.net Member

Thank you. You have all been very helpful!

6. Casey Weed

Casey Weed Greenhorn

I just found a large rock and epoxied a metal hook to it then I attach the rope. Viola! .99 anchor :thumb:

7. Ed Call

Media:
    :rofl:Caveman make tool! I love it. :thumb: How much did I waste on my fancy poured and molded anchor collection? bawling: Hell, some rivers I've visited even have rocks with holes already in them, pass a rope through and presto!

8. Trent

Trent Ugly member

My ule used to just buy a bag of cement and pour it into a coffee can with a bent piece of rebar.

9. What does this end up weighing?

10. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Beats me, all I know is that it is cheap and it works. If you want to get technical, put the can on a scale and poor cement to desired weight. I've also seen guys use cinder blocks. You can learn alot by watching "tarheels".:D

11. PETI

PETI Member

When I know I'll need it I bring along my old chain. Otherwise I always have an old onion (or whatever) bag and fill it with rocks.

Peter

12. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    BUMP

I tried out a "sea anchor" today on the raft. I used one of those cloth safeway bags with the rectangular bottom, it opened out perfectly with rope through both handles and slowed my drift markedly. I experimented a little with it, paddling against the 10 mph wind and anchor I made no headway. When I wanted to move, I tipped the water out and could navigate the raft easily. Seems like the perfect kind of bag to also throw some rocks in if you were on a river.

13. Ron Olsen

Ron Olsen Member

Use a 3.5# folding grapnel anchor in lakes. Plus a foot of chain. Holds an 8' pontoon just fine; if it doesn't hold, it is time to hit the scotch and remember when the waves didn't come up over the back of your waders!

With a boat go for 2 8-10 pyramids or concrete in a can. Great for mids.

In a river, I wouldn't anchor a pontoon except up on the bank.

Ronbow

14. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

what ever happened to the concrete filled boot?

i use a 10 lb square looking thing that gets smaller as it gets to the base. god i bet that description sounds stupid, but it works.

15. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    I use a couple of 32 oz round ball sinkers for my anchors. Each on a different 1/8 inch nylon line.

16. Preston

Preston Active Member

I'm not trying to make a point here, just an amusing story about anchors. When I was a kid, every lake fisherman worth his salt had a couple of anchors, usually just cement filled coffee cans with an eye bolt or a heavy wire loop to attach the rope. My father came across a source of free lead and poured a couple of one-pound coffee can anchors which seemed like a good idea at the time. After anchoring up on the inaugural trip and fishing for a couple of hours, it came time to weigh anchor. Those two lead anchors had settled so far down into the lake-bottom ooze that it took a long, long time and much rocking of the boat to pull them up and out of the mud. We quickly went back to the concrete-filled cans. I don't recall how much those lead anchors weighed but they were much, much heavier than a comparably-sized concrete anchor and just kept sinking slowly into the deep mud of the lake bottom.

I made anchors for my float tube from a couple heavy ball sinkers. I carried them around for a while but never did use them. I've always found it easier and more convenient to hold the float tube in position with the fins and found a definite advantage in being able to turn the tube quickly around, and not having a couple of anchor ropes out there to entangle the line and the fish during the fight.

17. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

Preston, so what your saying is to have a larger surface area, but to make ease of hoisting we drill holes in them. i think a 12 by 12 by 1 {inches} plate of lead with 6-8 one inch holes cut would work great.

but remember to round the edges

18. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    That chunk of lead you are describing is gonna weigh like 75 lbs Colton, even with the holes in it. A lead ingot slightly bigger than a twinkie is 5lbs.

Lead is somewhere around 6.5 oz per cubic inch. What you described would be over 70lbs before you punched out 3-5 lbs of holes.

19. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

You can use just about anything. I'm currently using an old iron, similar to these.
    [​IMG]
    I've also used a 5lb dumbell, a bunch of chain, and various lead pyramids. A friend of mine uses a brake rotor.

20. Ed Call

Media:
    I have a 10# musrhoom, it sinks well into soft muddy bottoms and the first few pulls is tough. I have an 8# mushroom, same story, but not quite as tough. I use one or the other on my pontoon but I've never used a second anchor to keep frowm swinging, I sue fins for that. Both hold me well in fairly choppy stuff with some wind. On my float tube I use a four pound lead ball from walmart. It is smaller than a tennis ball and weighs four full pounds. This holds my float tube very well in all conditions that I've tried it in and I'm wondering if a 4-6# ball like that would actually hold my pontoon too. With all the creative ideas in this thread I'm sure you can come up with something effective and even distinctive. Let us know when you are ready to deploy and hoist up that manhole cover sized lead plate. That could put a stress on your freeboard of the waterline on your craft. Irons, rotors, bricks, anchors, chain...the options are seemingly limitless.