Anchoring a Drift Boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by MT_Flyfisher, Feb 15, 2012.

1. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Member

I got a new Hyde drift boat last fall, in place of a Clackacraft that I'd had for several years previously.

This Hyde boat is their newer desgn XL Hybrid low profile series which is approximately 16' long, while my former Clackacraft was the 16' low profile model. (both fiberglass)

Although these boats are roughly equivalent size and weight (or so I presume), the Hyde drift boat does not stop in even relatively slow moving water when I drop my anchor like my Clackacraft did. -- using the same 30# spike anchor, and about 50' of anchor line. It doesn't even seem to stop when the full 50' of anchor line is out in many instances, and just keeps dragging the anchor down river.

I didn't get to use my new Hyde a lot before winter set in last fall. I leave it in MT and go to PA for the winter, which is where I am now. But this really bothers me. I'll need to either get a heavier anchor, or add some weight to my existing one, or else do something....

Anybody have similar issues with anchoring Hyde drift boats, and/or have any suggestions?

(Don't tell me to sell the Hyde and buy another Clackacraft, please :) -- I bought the Hyde to get some of its features that are not available on the Clackacraft. One of these features was it has a wider transom that makes it easier to mount an outboard motor. And, this wider transom may push more water against the boat, and is the reason why it doesn't anchor as well - I don't know?) I do miss the Clackacraft though, I've got to tell you.

Any ideas?

John

2. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Both boats, same river, same location, same type of riverbed? I never had a problem getting my Hyde to stick. If it couldn't, I probably didn't need to be there anyway. I only had one location I couldn't get it to stick on the S fork of the Snake, no matter how hard I tried, then found out the riverbed was so loose and with small rocks, nobody could anchor where I wanted to.

3. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

While I don't know why one brand anchors easier than the other, I have had good luck with a 50 lb chain anchor. You can add or subtract chain as needed. I use a pulley on the anchor so I have a 2 to 1 set up, making it easier to raise and lower the anchor. Rick

4. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Member

What I'm talking about is the same river - the Yellowstone - and anchoring in exactly the same places with the same river flow.

One of optional features on my Hyde is an easy pull anchor system, which does make it easier to pull up the anchor, so I could add more anchor weight and still pull it rather easily. I'm not sure I want to go with a chain anchor entirely, but I think I could add on another 5-10# of chain to my spike anchor and see just how much more weight it takes to stop my boat.

I am careful not to anchor it too fast water in any case, but I do need to stop the boat when it needs to be stopped (anyone who ever uses the Joe Brown access on the Yellowstone just above Yankee Jim Canyon knows exactly what I mean.)

John

5. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

You might try shifting more of the weight forward in an effort to get more of the transom out of the water. If all else fails, throw a 100lb bag of sand in the bow.

6. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Member

I often fish with my best friend, from Vancouver, WA. He and his wife spend the summer next door to my wife and I in MT.

Unlike me, he's trim and in super physical condition. Until now, I always row; he sits in the front and fishes.

Now, I have a good reason to ask him to row while I fish from the front! I won't need that sandbag!

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    What is the shape of your anchor?

Is the bottom of the transom below the water surface elevation when you drop anchor? If so, it shouldn't be, and the boat is out of fore/aft trim if it is.

In slow moving water a 25 to 30# pyramid anchor should hold a drift boat with two people in it. If it doesn't, something is wrong, like maybe the water isn't so slow.

Sg

8. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Member

I've used a pyramid anchor in the past, but had already switched to using a spike anchor with my Clackacraft, and continued to use this same anchor with my new Hyde. Here's a link so you can see what it looks like: http://hydeoutdoors.com/onlineflyshop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=124 I believe these 30# spike anchors are the most common anchors used on drift boats in our part of Montana.

I try to keep the boat relatively trim, by moving my seat and oar locks, within their adjustable ranges, depending on who and how many people are in my boat, their approx. size, etc. However, I'll have to take an even closer look at this. I know that the transom, and overall design of this boat is considerably different from Clackacraft's, and it's quite possible that the bottom of the transom may be underwater no matter what (other than putting an extra 100# sandbag in the bow, as suggested).

I didn't mean to imply that I was anchoring in slow water. You're not able to do that in many instanses because the Yellowstone is still moving at a reasonable speed in most places. But I never anchor in rapids, and when I said "relatively slow" I mean water that an average person could stand in to fish, if that makes it clearer.

9. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    I'm going to guess the Hyde has a little more rocker, causing more drag. My boat has a lot. So I use a combo
    pyramid/chain. about 65lbs. on a pulley. Very sticky.:thumb:

First rule of anchoring in current. If you can't hold by rowing, you can't anchor.

10. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Member

I believe the Hyde does have more rocker and that might also be a part of the problem.

I like your anchoring rule.

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jeff is spot on in every aspect. The man knows his shiznit. ;)

12. Evan Salmon

Evan Salmon Member

Exactly! I would add that if you trim for max rowing efficiency youre also trimmed for best anchoring efficiency. Adding more weight to hold anchor means youre working harder on the oars.

13. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Haha. Jeff's boat stops in anything. Still one of my favorite boats I've been in.