Anchoring canoes?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by fishwater, Dec 21, 2010.

1. fishwater

fishwater Human Being...a work in progress

Anybody got a solid system down for holding a canoe steady in wind or currents? I've not found an anchoring setup I really like. Either I have anchors that are heavy/unwieldy holding me fore and aft on considerable scope (long lines), or my set is flimsy/wobbly. Share your gear and/or technique with me?

2. FLGator

FLGator Member

I'd check out the systems used by Atlantic salmon fishermen who fish from their Sharpes style canoes. Another suggestion might be to check on the Outdoors Directory forum in the canoe sub-forum and see what the guys running the frieghters are using.

3. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    I have a scotty mount on the front and back of mine, 50' rope and 4lb piramid weights. Seems to work fine.

4. fishwater

fishwater Human Being...a work in progress

I like your idea re "scotty mounts"....Found the Scotty website, but don't right away see anything to secure lines to the canoe. Can you point me in the right direction, please?

5. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
  6. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

I've seen guys trail several feet of heavy chain, often encased in a cut bicycle innertube in the manner used on the AuSable, and I've seen sea anchors used on lakes. In general, anchoring canoes....bad idea.

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I use an old 5# window sash weight on parachute cord to anchor my canoe. I made a small wooden bracket with a 1" diameter pulley near the end and a 1/4" jam cleat to hold the cord. This works fine in currents that I'm comfortable in. If the 5# won't hold, then it's probably a spot I don't want to be anchoring in. I don't have a fore and aft system for chironomid fishing in lakes.

Sg

8. stratocaster

stratocaster Member

I use a Scotty mount, run the line through an eye type guide mounted on the thwart, then use a jam cleat to "tie" it off. I put and eight not in the end of the line to keep it from running through the eye. For an anchor I use a plastic Foldgers coffee container filled with concrete. Works good in the rivers but a little heavy for still water.

9. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member