anchovy fly patterns?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by stilly stalker, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Got any favorites? El Nino is pushing CRAZY amounts of bait into the surf zone down here, and between the anchovy and the upcoming grunion run, theres gonna be a LOT of meat eaters within casting range.

2. Ive been tying up these

Bob Triggs likes this.
  3. Man, sounds exciting, better post pics of the action on the other side of your line.

4. I don't think you are going to have to worry too much about "matching the hatch" with these fish. Your biggest problem will likely be the fact that you are casting a fly in to a situation where there are many thousands of naturals in the schools. But it does help to have some good imitations. I like Bob Popovics Surf Candy flies for these imitations. But personally, I also would rather tie without all of the goop and glue. So I like the beautiful flat wing flies that fellow forum member Jack Devlin has been sharing around here, especially on the fly tying forum pages. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

5. Surf Candy with anchovy pattern Fleye Foil holographic stickers for extra flash should work nicely

6. I've been catching bonito off the beach with an EP anchovy
    I like those flatwings!

7. This is not a fly that I tyed, but the guy that tyed it said he fished this a lot in Baja. image.jpg it is his Sardine pattern. As the Sardines are showing up in large
    numbers in Monetary Bay, this just may end up being a good El NiƱo pattern down your way.

8. Sweet!! Those would be killer out by the kelp forest right now