Ancient Lakes

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by SRCgary, Mar 7, 2014.

1. SRCgary

SRCgary New Member

Hello everyone I am a new member, been fly fishing for 8 seasons now. Mostly in the salt and coastal rivers. I am not very familiar with Eastern WA lakes.
    My girlfriend and I are going hiking in the ancient lakes area this weekend and of course I'll be taking my rod. I have a basic knowledge of the midge/mayfly game. Is this a tactic I will be able to use from the shore? Or would I be better off chucking out a bugger and stripping back in? I am planning on going to Dusty lake. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Dusty has some nice drop offs so you could fish chronies under a bobber in some places. If there is surface activity, try emerger patterns. With that said, I would concentrate on buggers, leeches & Hale Bopps. Stop by the fly shop in Ellensburg - right off the exit, and see what they would suggest.

MB

SRCgary likes this.
  3. SRCgary

SRCgary New Member

Thanks Scott! Besides Bow's what else could I be hooking into? Are their browns in dusty?

4. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I don't recall any browns to the net.

5. Starman77

Starman77 Active Member

Welcome to the board! Hope you had a good trip... The Ancient Lakes are among the prettiest of our desert lakes due to the nice waterfall that drops into the north lake. Spiny rays are in all three of the Ancient Lakes, mostly pumpkinseeds and bass. I've found a few trout in the north lake, but the south lake has the most trout. It would be better if you had a float tube, as the shallows seem to be dominated by the spiny rays and the trout tend to be in the deeper water, often down in the 18 to 25 foot depths. Dusty is another of our desert lakes with spectacular scenery, similar to Dry Falls. I'd think you'd have better luck fishing Dusty from shore rather than the Ancient Lakes, as often when I take a shore break on the west side of Dusty, I just toss out a chironomid under a strike indicator and often a fish will take it while I'm eating lunch. I also find a lot of fish near the edges. Dusty has rainbows, browns and Tigers. The biggest fish out of Dusty tend to be the browns; I think they get fat feeding on the crayfish and dace. It is still early for good midge hatches, so if it was me, I'd use the casting and stripping techniques.

Rex

jwg, mat1226 and Scott Salzer like this.
  6. SRCgary

SRCgary New Member

Thanks for the tips. I hiked into Dusty and fished for an hour or so on Sunday. (was on girlfriend time so I couldn't fish as long as I wanted).. No solid hookups. But it was a great day full of sunshine, deer and birds. It feels like spring over there!

7. flycasterwa

flycasterwa Chris Delsing

Media:
    That shop is the Worley Bugger, great staff and very knowledgeable