Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

And how many of the following can you 'relate' ???

Spey 
927 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Kirk Singleton 
#1 ·
Adult Truths

1. I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear
your computer history if you die.

2. Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
realize you're wrong.

3. I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was
younger.

4. There is great need for a sarcasm font.

5. How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

6. Was learning cursive really necessary?

7. Map Quest really needs to start their directions on # 5. I'm pretty
sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.

8. Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the
person died.

9. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.

10. Bad decisions make good stories.

11. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work
when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for
the rest of the day.

12. Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blue Ray? I
don't want to have to restart my collection...again.

13. I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me
if I want to save any changes to my ten-page technical report that I
swear I did not make any changes to.

14. I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to
answer when they call.

15. I think the freezer deserves a light as well.

16. I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or
Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.

17. I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

18. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

19. How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod
and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?

20. I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up
to prevent a jerk from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers
and sisters!

21. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get
dirty, and you can wear them forever.

22. Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still
not know what time it is.

23. Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car
keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the Tail on the
Donkey - but I'd bet everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3
feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Fred, you've been saving those up to come up with that long of a list. Every once in a while I find where i've left a note of things like that that I wrote down but didn't find the total bunch to make a list. Usually throw them away sooner or later cause no one cares.The frst 7 were the ones that really did have some connection for me. My map quest when we lived in Oregon before was on the other end. We tested it on our place before trying to use it. It was funny that it always left us about two miles up the hill short, nothing there but a field. Thaks for the humor of it all. I get a big kick watching people texting and talking on the blue tooth that you can't see. the ones who tell the world that their lives are so full of crap and they don't even slow down to think that we all can hear.

#3 ·
Bob, wish I'd come up with that list, but can't take "credit." But I can 'relate.' Far, far too easily.

Learned ages ago that 'lists of things to do' (like going to the grocery store) is a fact of life. Would I remember when I got to Safeway? Not a Prayer in hell; list in my shirt pocket, in the small front basket as I roll around, and I suspect a few odd looks from the store staff as I ask them where to find a 'bottle of This/Or That/What ever.

Being an 'old guy' with more than a few cubbards 'full' of stuff (ditto the Motor Home) it's interesting to devote an afternoon (it did take me that long) to pull all the cans/jars out just to read the 'expiration/use before' dates. Did that last week and I was chucking thing out with 1986 dating's!

No Shxt!!

#4 ·
yeah I beleave that we did thatin 06 whefn we mooved to Wash nd then again when I moved back and i think some of the old stuff we threw out the firsst time was back on the shelf. I was with my daughter last night to groceriey shop and ended up wih 3 lists and still have to finish putting thngs away to see what i got. We have limited space and I hav to go when the daughters go and then there's his, hers, and theirs,to be stored separately. today i'm alone so its laundry make the bed and on and on then start the new lists.what fun Have to go to the spey clave to get some normal back.

#5 ·
I follow you Bud, there are days that I'm 100% sure are at least 25-26 hours long. Skip the clock, it's wrong!

Only thing I know is 'right' is the two oldie Doggies; as I type two heads on my left leg telling me ... 'Dad, time to have a snuggle and take a nap?'

As usual, Sandy and Husky are right.

Fred

#10 ·
Steve, here's the 'scary thing.' I used to 'do' 10-12 hour days at the office and bring home a brief case full of 'stuff' and do another hour or two in front of the TV. (Mortgage Lending for context)

Probably why the production staff loved me (I ran the "Credit Risk Management" aka 'Mortgage Loan Underwriting' Department of the 4th-6th largest Mortgage Banking Corporation in the US); my underwriting 'Approval' consisted of a few lines "and you already know the rest of the stuff necessary." Was I going to give professional people a page and a half of "niggly-piggily" and insult their (my) intelligence?

Had a few, very few -but a few - phone calls where someone 'added' a 'requirements.' Good calls all, as 'they' knew I was probably physically/mentally exhausted when I went through the underwriting file.

Management 101 as taught to me by many Mentors at a young age: "You take care of your People, and they will take care of you." Another 'Yes Sir' was a fellow (Exec-Mgmt) paraphrasing a thought: "Be nice to the People you meet on the way up, they're the same People who will keep you there."

Lots more thoughts, but that would be a "rant at best."

Most of my day, Management really did care about 'staff; to day?

fae

#9 ·
That provided a nice, well needed laugh. Thanks!

#11 ·
Most of the management in myday thought only cover their asses and left you with no incentve. Steve if you're afraid of being bored you're not thinking and I know you are thinking and unless you loose total interest in the things you're doing now and have to change. the real threat I Think and have is the health issue and how long you can keep going on untill you're ready to cast off into the sunset. If your mental capacity holds up and the physical isn't cripleing you then you're good If you;re fihting somthing bad then put all you have into the fight and one thing is that exercise is a great help to fighting many things. I have a real hard time getting into it that well and exercising enough and the doctor today said it again that with my arthritis that aqua exersize is great too. So I have to do more. But you know most of what I do and I may get frustrated but never bored, just not enough time to do every thing I want. My parkinsons will eventually take me out of the game but untill it does I'm fighting all the way. My big help are the friends and family that get me out and go with me when they can. That helps the frustration so much. I'm hoping that I will be able to read some of the books and magazines I have been saving for that time. YEs they're fishing and fantasy and I won,t be able to fish but I will fantasize a lot and not just fishing.

#12 ·
At work it's always easier to get your fellow workers to help and back you if you're friendly and honest and hold up your end and they know it. they will work with you because they know you'll do your share and they'll stop or reduce their cheating or stealling because they know you're hoanest and even if they're friends they'll get reported and usually loose ther job..The only time this didn.t' work for me was when the boss was dishonest and also cheating the company, then I wouldn't have wanted to stay.

#13 ·
Lordie Bob, you have a back out look on 'Corporate Life.'

I must admit, "things have changed" over the past 40-50 years, and much of it not for the good. I remember, with delight, working for large Corporations where the door to the President/COE was always open. Rare to see it closed save for some meeting.

In Management you have a mark on you, good - bad-or indifferent ... and the view 'downward' could be interesting. Worked for a Major mortgage lender for many years in California and the first time I met the 'Chairman of the Board' I was not having a "good day.'" Fellow (zero idea who he was) walked by me and said 'Good Morning.' I responded by saying (to the effect) 'How the hell would you know if this is a Good Morning; right now this place is Fuxked Up.'

Everyone in Executive Management (true) feared this guy ... I had no idea and couldn't care less.

About an hour later Fellow is standing in my door asking if 'We could do lunch?' 'Yup, I'm starved.' Where would you like to go?"

We walked/talked going over to a local Burger king. For context, this Guy could have written a check and bought half of Santa Rosa California.

We talked/laughed for hours ...... and then I asked 'him' "Do you fish?" Solid yes.

Walked back and drove back to my home, geared us both up and hit the Russian River for a bit of Winter Steelhead fishing (don't think either of us touched a fish).

End game of all this was he was the 'Chairman of the Board' of a Corporation doing 4-6 BILLION dollars worth of business per month, he knew I had no clue how he was and even if I did .. couldn't have cared less.

First trip ... he fell in ....Another back story there for some other time.
fae

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.