And now....Lining a Deer Creek 13' 6/7

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Josh, Jan 9, 2013.

1. I posted this same thread over on speypages and got some good replies. But in the interest of spreading information around on a rod that gets ignored (and hearing from people who fish in my local waters), I'm going to post it here as well.

This is partly a question for my own benefit, as I own this rod and am curious what others are using. But I've also noticed that, unless I'm missing it, there isn't that much info out there on it and thought a thread might be a good reference for someone in the future. Even TFO's own Deer Creek line recommendation page skips the 6/7 for some strange reason.

There is a Speypages thread from last year where the general scandi suggestion is in the 330-360 range with comments that you could pretty easily expand that to 300-390 if you wanted to. Lighter than I would have though

Extrapolating from between the 5/6 and 7/8 recommendations on the TFO page would give you 450-500 skagit and ~400 scandi. But that's just guesswork.

I myself am using a 480 compact skagit on my DC 6/7 and like it fine (though my casting skills are pretty limited compared to most here). I think a 450 would have worked just fine as well. I've got a 370 versitip scandi coming for a different rod and am curious about using it on the DC 6/7 as well. I would have thought that the 425 might have been a better choice, but the videos and posts on the thread I linked to above would indicate that there is a pretty wide range for scandi lines on this rod. I'm very limited in my knowledge about scandi setups, so I can't add much to that discussion.

I am interested in hearing what others with this rod are using for their line setup.

2. Kiene flyshop has these lines listed on their Deer Creek 6/7 page:
    And perhaps more importantly, Poppy from RedShed posted these comments from Bob Meiser, one of the Deer Creek designers:

3. The best way, in my humble opinion, to get the line right for the rod and you is to try different lines.

In the case of the TR7, Rajeff Sports recommends a Skagit Compact 570g. I like it A LOT with a 540g.

I can't remember the exact window off the top of my head; but, on the Meiser Switch 6/7, the window's something like 350g-500g. I think it casts super well with the Skagit Switch 390g. I, for the life of me, could never see why you'd ever want to load that rod up with a 450.

A buddy of mine has a BIIx. He runs a 570 Skagit Compact. I thought it cast terribly with a 550; and, went to a 500 which I like a lot.

The St. Croix online recommendations for the Imperial Switch were like 60-80g off.

Everyone's different...casting style, experience, motion, height, pace, etc.
    Ed

4. Yes, but hearing what other people use for a given rod is a starting point for most folks as it is an expensive proposition to "try a bunch of lines" unless you happen to live near a very friendly shop or have line-whore spey friends.

There is little info out there on the 6/7 as it wasn't part of the original lineup, and for some reason people don't tend to talk about it much. My point in posting was to give the next person googleing the rod a place to start from.

5. I became a line whore not long after my BIIx experience given the manufacturer's reps recommendation of the Skagit 550g. I absolutely did not like the rod; and, in fact bought a Deer Creek, because of it. Starting points are great but 30 grains can make a big difference in the way the rod performs.

My name's Ed and I'm a line whore. I'll meet you at Nugent's Corner anytime.
    Cheers!

6. Josh-I just bought an Echo rod from Ed. You should take him up on the offer to meet you at Nugents Corner. He has every line know to man (almost) and will let you try them until you get it dialed in! BTW-Ed and Scott Willison are starting a new fly shop in Whatcom Co called Confluence Fly Shop. I very much recommend supporting them so we can again have fly stuff available locally! I would be glad to meet you out there with Ed as I usually can find some new rod to cast! Rick

7. To be clear, Ed and Scott and Wayne and Trevor have all offered to take whatever rod I wanted to set up and try a bunch of lines. In fact, it was Trevor and I fishing up on the south fork where we tried out a couple different compact skagit weights and settled on the 480 (which I do feel has done me really well). So while I'm not a line whore myself (yet), I am blessed with friends who are. This thread was partially because I was curious to see what others are using (particularly for a scandi) and partially to leave some reference material for future 6/7 owners on a rod that doesn't see a lot of conversation.

I'm happy to see any mention of Ed and Scott's Confluence Fly Shop as I am just as excited as the rest of the Whatcom crew to see it up and running. Just sent Ed a message about some running line earlier today.

That having been said, any day on the river with guys like you and Ed is a good day. I'd be happy to meet at Nugents. There's always a million things I need to learn about spey casting.

8. maybe 390 Rage Airflo. If the memory serve me right, I believe Mike Kinney said, the is the best rod he ever designed. Awesome rod indeed. Mark

9. I saw this stick in a 14' the other day. What advantages/disadvantages would you get from a 13' vs 14' ?