And so it starts...

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Upton O, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Wetside, Washington
    Ratings: +196 / 0
    Went out with one of my hunting buddies this morning and enjoyed a gorgeous morning. Clear skys, cool temps, nice southern breeze and enough geese to shoot close to a limit. These early goose season birds are HUGE. My poor lab had a heck of a time finding a grip and then couldn 't lift some of them enough to retrieve. She ended up dragging four of them to the layout blinds.

About an hour into the hunt we had three whitefront geese drop right into the dekes no more than 12 yards in front of us. That was when my buddy informed me that early goose season is early Canada goose season, specks, snows and brant are not legal game. Glad I wasn't there alone, I would have shot them in error.

We also had one flock of geese come to the decoys and there was a BIG white goose in the flock. It wasn't a snow goose, we've seen it for the past three years, appears to be a barnyard goose that can fly. My buddy shot at it three times without dropping it. Was he pissed that he didn't kill it. Now he's mad because I'm referring the the bird as Moby Goose and he's Capt. Ahab. First day of the season and I'm one BIG dig into him already. We finished the morning with 8 big geese, he would have limited if he hadn't been so focused on Moby Goose.

IMG_0207.JPG
  2. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +485 / 0
    Man, Karl . . . that is a BIG bird! Sounds like fun. Congrats on both the hunt and the early "dig."
  3. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +781 / 0
    Make that two! Thanksgiving goose for sure!!
  4. seekm chris

edmonds
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Sounds like fun, thanks for the report.
  5. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +682 / 1
    I build 747's, I'm not impressed...just kidding, great to know you got on some early birds and one up on your friend. I wouldn't mind putting one of those in the freezer...