And we will all go down together....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Tarcha, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    They closed em all down...

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
    Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
    600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/

February 12, 2010

Steelhead fishing will close Feb. 18 in five river systems around Puget Sound

OLYMPIA - Steelhead fishing will close Feb. 18 in five major river systems in the Puget Sound area to protect wild fish, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) announced today.

The closure will affect the Puyallup, Nooksack, Stillaguamish, Samish and Snohomish rivers and their tributaries.

Pre-season estimates developed by the department indicate that returns of wild steelhead will fall far short of target levels in all five river systems, said Bob Leland, WDFW steelhead manager.

"This is the fourth straight year that we've seen a downward trend in wild steelhead returns," Leland said. "These closures are necessary to meet the conservation objectives of our statewide steelhead management plan and comply with provisions of the federal Endangered Species Act (ESA)."

Wild steelhead in the Puget Sound region have been listed as "threatened" under the ESA since 2007. Although anglers are required to release any wild fish they catch in those rivers, some of those fish inevitably die from the experience, Leland said.

Rivers closing to steelhead fishing Feb. 18 include:

Puyallup River system

Puyallup River mainstem from the 11th St. Bridge in Tacoma upstream to Electron Power Plant Outlet
    Carbon River from the mouth to Hwy.162 Bridge
    White (Stuck) River from the mouth to R Street Bridge in Auburn
    Nooksack River system

Nooksack River from the mouth to the confluence of the North and South Forks
    North Fork Nooksack from the mouth to Nooksack Falls
    South Fork Nooksack from the mouth to Skookum Creek
    Middle Fork Nooksack from the mouth to headwaters.
    Samish River system

Samish River from the mouth to the Hickson Bridge.
    Stillaguamish River system

Stillaguamish River from sloughs south of Marine Drive to forks.
    North Fork of the Stillaguamish from the mouth to Swede Heaven Bridge.
    South Fork of the Stillaguamish from the mouth to the Mt Loop Hwy. Bridge (above Granite Falls).
    Canyon Creek from the mouth at the South Fork of the Stillaguamish to the forks.
    Snohomish River system

Snohomish River from mouth (Burlington-Northern railroad bridges) to the confluence of the Skykomish and Snoqualmie rivers including all channels, sloughs, and interconnected waterways.
    Snoqualmie River from the mouth to the boat launch at Plum Landing (~1/4 mile below Tokul Creek).
    Skykomish River from the mouth to the forks.
    North Fork of the Skykomish from the mouth to Deer Falls (about ΕΊ mile upstream of Goblin Creek).
    South Fork of the Skykomish from the mouth to the Sunset Falls Fishway.
    Pilchuck River from mouth to the Snohomish city diversion dam.
    Sultan River from mouth to the diversion dam at river mile 9.7.
    Tolt River from mouth to the confluence of the North and South Fork.
    Raging River from the mouth to the Highway 18 Bridge.
    The Wallace River, Tokul Creek and Snoqualmie River above the boat ramp at Plum Landing will close Feb 28.

Reopening dates for all of these waters will be noted in the 2010-11 Fishing in Washington fishing rules pamphlet.

2. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for posting this Eric

3. wet line

wet line New Member

Good for WDFW for closing the rivers down. It is about TIME.

These are endangered fish and have been for a very long time. The ESA listing should have been imposed a long time before it was.

Dave

4. Chris DeLeone

Media:
    "TIME" - the last 10 years of the Sky being closed in march and april has done so much for the numbers of fish in the system. If we close the river down a few more months out of the year - just think of how many more fish we will have.

5. martyg

martyg Active Member

Does this include tribal netting, assuming of course that the tribes are netting these rivers for Steelhead?

6. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Feb.12? They wait until Feb. 12.

I have cleared the majoriity of the ammended steelhead plan past the governor, made proper provisions, based on getting until the 28th and they tell me this on the 12th.

DeLe,

Fish in?

Go Sox,
    cds

7. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    My meeting schedule for the next week would be much different if they gave me more notice. This reallly isn't fair to the people I work with or for either. Do I call in sick? reschedule? I can't believe that they waited until the 12th. How long ago was the Skagit closure announced? JFC!!!!!!

Truck day today,
    cds

8. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Media:
    Home Page:
    A sad thought not being able to fish those waters in PRIME TIME.

9. PT

PT Physhicist

It's all good. We'll all just migrate farther west:(

10. fishbadger

fishbadger Member

I think most of the netting on these streams is done. The big winners are the motels, restaurants and bars on the west end. The loser is the west end streams and people who don't like high traffic on west end streams. Looking forward to the "I got low-holed" posts already,

fb

11. Chris DeLeone

Media:
    CDS - Yep we should!

12. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    "Wild steelhead in the Puget Sound region have been listed as "threatened" under the ESA since 2007. Although anglers are required to release any wild fish they catch in those rivers, some of those fish inevitably die from the experience, Leland said."

I love how they mention this and not the multitude of other factors that contribute to the decline. Seems kind of like pointing the finger to me, but that's just my initial frustrated reaction. I am glad they are closing things down though, at least it's something.

The question is....what do I do now? Maybe it's good that I taper off the addiction for a while? ptyd

13. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    Useful things to do and spend $ on
    Wild Steelhead Coalition
    Coastal Conservation Association
    write furious letters to deciders, demanding management reform
    ...practice casting
    ...flytying

14. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    I see I am not the only one that caught this. I have no problem closing rivers to all fishing if there are no fish and I understand that catch and release fishing has its impacts. What pisses me fucking off is Leland almost makes it sound like catch and release fishing is a major cause for the decline in steelhead. When I see statements like this and as Mathew stated no other causes stated I feel like we are being painted as the culprits. I know this is not what Mr. Leland intended but that is the impression made.

Butt hurt in Skidrow........................

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I don't understand the problem here. The closure date is only 10 days before the end of the month when it usually closes.

16. megajumbos

megajumbos Brett@Creekside

Hey you can still fish the Wallace... And I believe starting next year a Feb. 15th closure will be written into the regs for most of the Puget Sound streams.

17. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sucks for the guides and clients who had trips booked during that new closed period and had the river pulled out from under them.

18. Dave Henry

Dave Henry Member

Home Page:
    Sad. Just Sad. I've fished the Nook every February for a while now to avoid the gong show on the rivers here. It's only a half hour drive longer than the Vedder for me with 5% of the pressure. It's been sad to watch the decline of the steelhead fishery there and I've stayed out of the threads due to being out of country. I love the river and wish I could be part of turning it around. We've lost many Lower Mainland rivers to closures (for good reason) and it looks like the same thing is happening in Northern Washington as well. Hopefully you guys can find a voice to change things. Learn from our mistake (complacency), you have a larger number of anglers that can get involved.

19. Jon Viebrock

Jon Viebrock Livin down by the river, eating gov'ment cheese...

Maybe if there was a REAL solution to this problem, we'd all be able to fish. I told Gov Gregiore during the last campaign cycle (to her face) that the "4 H's" approach was a losing proposition and would only enforce the status quo. She looked at me like I was a doper from Mars. The problem that we face is because all the solutions that get enacted are POLITICAL solutions, not REAL solutions. We are getting the government that we vote for.............

20. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Dave Henry -
    Glad you chimed in. Based on what you saw happen to your rivers north what advice do you have for us so that we learn from your mistakes.

Did your populations collapse due to tribal netting?

Hatchery programs?

Bonking of wild fish?

Appreciate the outsie view.

Tight lines
    Curt