And we will all go down together....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Tarcha, Feb 12, 2010.

1. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

A bunch of smoke and mirrors. I'll bet money that the so-called May Sockeye fishery is alive and well on the Skagit though.

Skagit gillnet pic from Feb1.

%@)$_%(_!$()%*%)#)_#_#()%_#(#)_%($_))(%*(

2. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have some ideas as to what WDFW could do. They could start by commenting on other user groups proposals. WDFW is very good at regulating anglers. It's easy, inneffective and politically acceptable. There is quite a bit of science showing that the closure will have no positive effect, but when it comes to angling the way it's viewed is ,"It can't be helping."
    Hatcheries are the sacred cow for the most failed generation (50+) and the WDFW. If WDFW were to use the "It can't be helping" logic then the steelhead hatcheries would be shut down too. The fish are struggling to get out of the near shore. I can't fathom how hatchery smolts are helping with near shore survival.
    How about commenting on SEPA's associated with land use proposals. In the last few years there has been a rather signifigant gravel mine opened along the Samish. I'm sure that WDFW could have at least commented on it. I don't suspect the Skagit County critical areas ordinance would address all the potential impacts, given the associated paved road along side the river.
    Does WDFW comment on DNR timber sales?
    In the end, the only action WDFW is taking is to restrict the opertunity for C&R anglers. That's all they do. It's all that will be done. Unfortunately for the fish we C&R anglers are the fish's best and most ardent advocates. I could actually argue their only advocates. Why then are we the ones who are restricted but for all other groups it's status quo?
    When these fish were listed at the behest of WSC, it should have given the WDFW the ability to advocate for the fish, instead it has only forced them to close C&R angling.
    One other point; When they close the systems with 6 days warning, although the situation has been known for 6 months, it's hard to not believe that C&R anglers are being attacked by the agency. I always try to empathise with WDFW's positions, they need to do the same with anglers.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

3. Dave Henry

Dave Henry Member

Home Page:
    Netting, Tribal and Commercial. Gravel Pits. Lack of education for new anglers (ignorance of that education by older anglers). Poaching due to angling closures. Poor management in general. Fighting between motivated Angler groups. But most of all, angler complacency and lack of interest.

4. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I kept trying to think....Who is this guy? Kodiak, Meisers, How the hell don't I know him?,,,,,Took me a bit dave but after reading your blog...an "oh yeah" moment...Great guy who has a better story about his wifes catch on their honeymoon I believe? Good seeing you here Dave!!!

X

5. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Now everyone can come out here to the Olympic Peninsula coastal rivers and thrash away at the last wild winter steelhead runs and crush them on behalf of wdfw.:rofl:

6. NomDeTrout

NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Media:
    yep...makes me wonder how many big wild winter steelhead are gonna end up on someone's dinner platter too.

7. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Yep! That is so frickin' ridiculous!!! Not one good point in that wdfw rule.