And what about the Lyre?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Madplaid, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Madplaid

Madplaid New Member

Does anyone have info on fishing the Lyre for steelies? Tired of getting snubbed in my usual destination. Anybody got anything they're willing to share? I know these things don't come easy or without work, but I could really use some luck fellas.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Welcome to the board, cut right to the chase on your first post, eh?

3. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    Key essentials that have lead me to many steelhead: WDFW smolt plants, USGS river levels, Washington Gazateer, Topo map and bush beating through hell and back. :thumb:

4. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    You tell me your usual destination and I will tell you what I think...

5. Madplaid

Madplaid New Member

Thanks Mumbles, I needed that! Draggin ones tail between ones legs is no way to present your dillemma to the athoratative board. Agreed. Let me try this again.

Environmental biologist, fair amount of invertebrate and limnological studies under belt, sucks at fishing in this big boy fishing country! USGS river level links, Google Earth, USGS Resources, Custom Corrects, Garmins, Topos, aerial imagery, and an old guy who manages the boats for a certain environmentally centered agency have not resulted in even a bass or bluegill. Yet, I've got it in my head I'm going after the elusive steelhead--lucky enough to hook, twice as lucky to land.

Don't wish to drive to the Wynoochee again. Don't want to get shot trying to access the Lyre, especially if its a dead end street.

6. olypenjeeper

olypenjeeper Active Member

its a tough river to fish. the water is very fast, narrow and has alot of logjams. it sits in a sort of brushy canyon. there are fish there if you know where to look, i have personally seen an honest to god 15-20 lb native come out of there a few winters ago. unfortunately the rednecks that caught it bonked it too. i would stay away from the campground area and explore the river south of the 112 bridge.

7. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

iagree Difficult to fish, bring a lot of flies and leader. As you have probably noted on your topo maps South means uphill here. Desire to bushwack is essential. Good luck.

8. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I'll just say welcome aboard and post a report on how the trip went.
    stuff like "Brush up the a$$, broken rod, banjo playing in back ground" all will work in report.
    Or come over to the dry side and I'll take you to RF and you can hook a fish that is as big as a steel head.
    We'll try to keep the sage brush and cat tails out of the grip & grin so you can brag on???
    Just fun'in ya.
    But serious if ya want to fish RF. PM me we'll go.

9. Madplaid

Madplaid New Member

Thanks for the info 'jeeper/bonzai...as if fishing alone wasn't challenging enough. Ya gotta wonder though, how many guys are willing to go through all that bush to find fish. As fer me, I'd sure as hell do it if there were fish there and may just have to giver a go this weekend.

Then again, Gary, I may have to take you up on some dry side fishin'!

10. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Low water conditions preclude the samller waters out here at this time. The Lyre is mostly a hatchery run experience. It is more like a small broook trout stream.

Go west, the lower Hoh, and Quinault (need an indian guiide) etc. The rains and snow melt are coming, hopefully not too much.