And yet another useless fishing report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Wayne Kohan, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Finally able to get out and fish today. Had carpal tunnel surgery 6 weeks ago, so allowed to go out without a brace. Grabbed the spey rod and headed to Ringold. Air temp 30 degrees, water temp 36 degrees, so standing waist deep in water seems to make sense. Started out at the most popular spot. No gear chuckers, only fly fisherman around. Makes my heart feel good. I get in the water and immediately my hands are cold, especially the right one, must be from the surgery. I put on my neoprene gloves, but have to add a hand warmer to my right hand. Feeling better, not at all comfortable though. Which is good, because I'm steelheading, and it's not supposed to feel good Fished for 30 minutes without a strike, using my recently tied articulated bunny leech with a hot pink bead. That thing looks so good on the swing, my stomach is growling.
    I head up to another area. No one around. The water level is higher than I like it, but hey, you got to fish when you can. Now me feet is going numb. And then the wind picks up, from the north of course. My guides are freezing. But I'm booming my casts out there. The wrist feels fine with the cast, but is killing me as I mend line. I'm daydreaming about things, like my new fly I tied and how good it looks. That rabbit strip looks delectable in the water, moving and swimming on that kevlar thread I used. I wonder how strong that kevlar thread is anyway....
    The next cast is a beaut, shooting out about 15 feet of running line beyond the skagit head. A simple mend and almost immediately line starts pulling off the reel. I give it a couple seconds, which seems like an eternity, and slowly lift the rod. There is no resistance on the lift! I strip in line quickly, figuring he is running at me, but nothing. I pull in and look at my fly, or what's left of it anyway. Just a bead head. The rabbit strip is ripped, and a close look reveals the torn Kevlar thread. The trailing hook is gone, still lodged in the fish.:mad:
    I fish for 30 more minutes, angry at myself for my fly tying stupidity. By this time, the weather has gotten worse, my guides are really frozen up, my reel is frozen and won't work, my feet are frozen and barely work. My wrist is killing me.
    At least I hooked one today. Since the hook is still in the fish, I guess I didn't get skunked, huh?

Wayne

2. Hem

Hem Member

great narration.I'm a long ways from steelhead country, and can say that it sounds like a blast.Maybe some day I'll get the chance,hopefully before they are gone. Hem

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Wayne, nice useless report. Sounds like a great day to get out based on your wait. Skunked or not skunked who knows, I guess at least one fish liked that fly. Did you tie with kevlar thread like kevlar tying thread? That stuff is strong thread, but not for line or stinger hooks...you need its bigger brother, either some fireline or power pro type of stuff. I hope that your recovery goes well from the surgery and that you get out again soon.

4. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I like the braided PowerPro in 50# for my articulated flies. Make the loop and wrap it to the shank of the front hook with the knot on the hook in such a way that it will keep the loop from slipping through your wraps. Put plenty of wraps between the knot and the bend in the hook and than cover area in super glue. This held some red hot chums last Fall so I am feeling pretty good about it.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Whats with the heading "usless fishing report". I thought that was mine and mine alone. Now everybody is using it. Shit, now I have to think of something new.

Jim

6. Ed Call

Media:
    Hey Jim, you could title yours Sesame Street Fishing Report by Oscar the Grouch. There is the Grouchy Old Man Chronicles. How about Bite Me They're Not Biting. I'd look forward to reading any or all of those "useless" reports.

7. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Jim, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. We all aspire to be just like you. You know - grouchy.

Wayne

8. Ed Call

Media:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Old Man
    Whats with the heading "usless fishing report". I thought that was mine and mine alone. Now everybody is using it. Shit, now I have to think of something new.

Jim

Jim, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. We all aspire to be just like you. You know - grouchy.

Wayne

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Well played Wayne! He is right Jim, I'm even trying to find out where your wife picked up that super cool hat...mind asking her for me?

9. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

That's funny stuff!!

10. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

OMJ the great!
    What a thread stealer.
    I use spider wire for my articulated flies.

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Sorry Wayne, but you got skunked. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's part of fishing. On the upside, you're healing and got to go fishing. That's a good thing. And by making a fly tying mistake, you've learned one thing not to do next time. By all appearances you made productive use of your time. And next time, you may not get skunked.

Sg

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    You guys can all bite me.