Anderson Island Fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Prouse, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Prouse

Prouse Pete Rouse

I have a place out on AI and wanted to know if there are areas to target SRC's or salmon from there. The property is between Lyle Point and the entrance to Oro Bay, and I have a very small boat (powered by oars or a small Minn Kota) to head out into the brine on.

I have seen guys fishing around Lyle point- what depth should I be fishing out there? Any information, especially on pattern suggestion, would be much appreciated-

Thanks!

Pete

2. uberschweiz

uberschweiz New Member

Hey Pete,

I'm headed to Anderson Island this weekend with the family and was wondering if you ever had any luck fishing for SRC or pinks there? I picked up some bright maribou streamers and a couple others streamers the guy at my local fly shop recommended and thought it would be fun to give it a try, but wasn't sure if it was worth my time. Any tips? Locations to try?

Thanks,
    Ben

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have no clue where Anderson island is, and I'm too lazy to go look it up, but I say if its saltwater this time of year then it is definitely worth a try!!

4. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

This was originally posted in 2002. Anderson Is is down by Steilacoom in S Sound next to McNeal Is. You need to catch a ferry. I was going to go for a ride with the wife for a day trip. Never made it. I think its is mostly all private property, but there has to be a public beach there somewhere.

5. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    I'd guess by the 11:44 pm time stamp that the person before had been drinking...I hope.

6. toddr

toddr Member

It'll be worth your time. Focus on cobbled beaches with tidal movement. Areas where seeps or small streams enter the sound can be productive. You can use a boat, but it won't be necessary. It sounds like you'll mostly be fishing freshwater flies, so I'd start with a marabou muddler minnow. It doesn't matter if you fish it wet or skate it like a popper. If fish are in the area they'll at least give you a turn.

And if you're not getting action, keep moving. The fish are transient, frequenting favorite spots, but always on the move.

7. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Where is nearest boat launch there or steilacoom?

8. toddr

toddr Member

PM me for a better access point.