Anglers attacked by animal extremists

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by alpinetrout, Aug 19, 2006.

1. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    From The Telegraph - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/08/19/nfish19.xml

A gang of masked animal rights activists has attacked a group of anglers, prompting fears that extremists are determined to widen the scope of their campaign of intimidation.

The 35 masked extremists had earlier disrupted a grouse shoot before being moved on by police.

A handful of people, some of them families, was enjoying a day out at the Bank House fly fishery, at Caton, near Lancaster, when the saboteurs arrived.

Lucy Belson, of Kirkby Lonsdale, Cumbria, was fishing with a friend when they suddenly found themselves at the mercy of the gang.

"They began throwing stones at my rod and one of them said, 'It's the easy way or the hard way. You've been sabbed.' They told me to pack up and go or I was 'going to get wet'."

Fighting broke out as two anglers on a nearby stretch of bank struggled with the protesters. Miss Belson, a resuscitation nurse at Westmorland General Hospital, in Kendal, said: "I decided to get out of there and go home but suddenly they all ran towards me waving bats and blocks of wood, shouting, 'Get her'. "I was jostled and they smashed my fishing rod."

As she broke away from the melee, Miss Belson saw another woman being punched in the face and several cars being vandalised.

"I was shaken at the time but now I am angry," she said. "They are cowards and I certainly won't be frightened to go back to the lake. I love fishing and I have been doing it since I was a little girl."

Lancashire police believe that the anglers were the victims of an opportunistic attack. Earlier in the day the saboteurs had tried to disrupt a grouse shoot at Lowgill, near High Bentham.

At the height of the confrontation, police called in the force helicopter, an armed response vehicle and nine other vehicles. However, there were no arrests and the saboteurs headed away.

Pc Duncan Thomas, the force's wildlife officer, said that saboteurs were increasingly attacking anglers.

"Both anglers and grouse shooting parties should be aware of the threat to them and they should have contingencies in place to protect themselves."

A Countryside Alliance spokesman said: "It does seem to be the way animal rights extremists are heading. Their issue is not animal welfare - it is about hating people. They simply want to cause trouble."

Last year animal extremists attacked anglers on the Grand Union canal, in Milton Keynes. Some of the fishermen were thrown into the water.

Tom Fell, the regional director of the Countryside Alliance for Cumbria, said: "These people will stop at nothing to achieve their ends. They are a real worry and a real danger."

2. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    I think I'll become a vegetable rights activist. I'll wear a mask and attack people picking fruit, I'll blow up combines, and I'll pour green paint all over Whole Foods to represent the blood of the organic bell peppers.

3. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Wow, those extremist have something wrong with them.

4. BigBill

BigBill Banned or Parked

I'm a bit skeptical anytime I read "news" from the UK. That being said, those weren't activists, they were terrorists. It would be a mistake to group all animal rights activists in with those criminals. To say all animal rights activists are like these few would be like grouping all types of fishermen together. You wouldn't want anyone forming their opinions of fly fishing based on what they might have seen gearheads doing on lake washington fishing for sockey, would you?

I'm very glad there are people protesting greedy, lazy, unethical corporations like proctor and gamble who poison, torture and kill countless animals including domesticated dogs and cats that were once people's pets until they were stolen and resold illegally to animal research farms like C.C. Baird's. http://www.lcanimal.org/

I don't use or encourage violence and feel most other animal rights advocates dont either. There are going to be a few bad apples in every bunch. The bad apples make the "news".

5. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    good post BigBill

6. mtlhead

mtlhead Member

I knew I had a good reason to pack that sub-compact .45 semi-auto with me, I just hope it doesn't get that bad here.:cool:

7. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

An obvious implication that the sockeye fishery on Lake Washington is unethical. Please help me understand why you believe this to be the case.

8. Noah Pefaur

Noah Pefaur New Member

I don't actually know anyone at Proctor and Gamble, but i'm pretty sure that the activits group people who hook fish in the lip and make them fight for their lives as a sport right along with the corporate types.

Protesting is good. Wingnuts are bad.

9. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:

WHAT? you dont "actually" know anyone, yet your'e "pretty sure" ..... buddy you are a wingnut!

LB

10. BigBill

BigBill Banned or Parked

My intention wasn't to attack the LW sockey fishery specifically, I just used it as the first example that came off the top of my head of things I wouldn't want to mistakenly be associatted with as a fisherman.

I wouldn't use the term unethical to describe it, but I do think it's a huge junk show. And, when the non fishing community thinks of "fishing" I'm sure a lot of them visualize a bunch of guys driving their boats around lake "X" with downriggers in an attempt to fill their freezer with as much fish as possible. That type of mentality has contributed to our fisheries being drastically depleted over the years. I wouldn't want fly fishing to be looked at in a similar light, and I'm guessing most members of WFF dont either.

11. Sisu

Sisu Banned or Parked

Ya, BigBill and you believe what you read from lcanimal. There are bad apples in every walk of life even here. BTW I am one of them...I fly fish, gear fish, gill net on a subsistence permit now and then killing trout, salmon, halibut, cod, etc for food, shoot big and small game for food, harvest veges to eat and I am a RED NECK s.o.b. that loves PETA (people eating tasty animals) and I do pack a piece when in the back country while in the Lower 48...it ain't for critters it's for Meth Maggots.

12. BigBill

BigBill Banned or Parked

Yes. Do you have evidence that I shouldn't? LCA is an awesome organization that does a lot of good for animals and people.

13. wolverine

wolverine Member

As has been said many times before: There's room for all gods creatures. Right next to the mashed potatoes. I'm with you Sisu. I pack whenever I hit the woods as the meth heads don't respect anything but force. As for those idiot tree hugging Brits, if they came over and started throwing rocks at me or tried to throw me in the water they'd be crying for their mamas as I shoved mr Glock up their A**.

14. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    "I shoved mr Glock up their A**." AMEN BROTHER !!!

15. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

I participated in the fishery this year for the first time and kept 4 sockeye. When the WDFW declares a surplus of a particular salmon run, I don't see a thing wrong with sharing in the bounty. Some fly fishers get caught up in the "release everything" mentality and bash anyone who keeps a "food" fish and/or fishes with different equipment. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.:hmmm:

16. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Yep, I and my .45 would be the only ones walking away from that encounter.

17. BigBill

BigBill Banned or Parked

I think keeping what you'll eat when it's legal to do so is fine as long as the fishery can support it. I don't think WDFW does a very good job creating, defining or enforcing state regs though. I think this state is pretty liberal in what they allow people to keep. And, I could be wrong, but wasn't this year the shortest sockey seasson on LW in decades? I don't think there was a surplus of fish available, I think this year was more about tradition and not pissing off tens of thousands of people who wanted to eat fish they have always been able to catch plenty of in the past. If I'm right about this years season being short due to record low numbers of fish, then do the math. Fishery's just cant produce the numbers of fish to sustain the species with the current population growth for people to be keeping all or even most of the fish they catch.

BUT again, you are getting us sidetracked. LW's sockey run or catch and release preferences is not the issue...FOCUS! lol

I guess I should have used a more clear cut example of fisherman being dirt bags!!! Ahhh forums...

18. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    i can't believe guys grouse hunting.......carrying shotguns would be such wusses to get pushed around like that. shotguns vs. rocks?! something don't ad up!

see what happens when bend over and give up your right to bear arms (real guns)....... such as in Canada and GBR!

terrorist are terrorist, islamic or PETA, if you're violent, you deserve what you get back!

btw...any of you check out the new .48 Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan?
    sweetness. makes me want to upgrade from bear mace!

19. Porter

Porter Active Member

If you plant potatoes you will get potatoes! think about it! :)

20. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

Sorry, just one more sidetrack to address your comments, BigBill. The sockeye "pre-season" projections suggested no season for sporties, but they counted an abundance of fish coming through the locks and opened it up for 3 or 4 days, as I remember. When catch rates were not as high as allowed, they opened it up again...and then again. Today was the last day.