Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Angler's Roost 12' 5/6 wt

Spey 
3K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  jake-e-boy 
#1 ·
http://theanglersroost.com/products/graphite-rods/graphite-spey-rods/12-ft-4-pc-56-wt/

have the rod linked above, was curious if anyone has experience with what grain size/length skagit/scandi lines it throws well. Looking at using it for streamers on the Yak, Spokane, and stillwater, as well as dries for summer steelhead, which I would probably use a scandi compact or rage for.

Saw Steve Godshall rated the rod as a 5.2 wt, with a line recommendation for scandi heads of 286-338 and skagit heads 338-390, length between 18 and 24 feet.

Was looking at the Rio Skagit Max Short 350 gr or the Airflo Skagit Switch 360 gr. Thank you.

#3 ·
yeah, i try and not worry about the balance on most my rods due to all the new reels being designed around lightness, wish i had more dough for a speyco! i know for a fact every reel i have will be too light for this, except my 7 wt spey reel, which would probably balance it perfectly...

#6 ·
I have that rod and I have both a Godshall built scandi line and a Rio AFS 5/6. They throw about the same. There's a lot of information on the rod over at Spey Pages. I have a skagit head for it as well in the 350ish grain window but I rarely use it.

M
thanks for the info, just curious, what do you typically use your rod for with the SG scandi and afs? trying to decided between sinking polyleaders or level T sinktips for getting big streamers down to bows and browns, will probably get a scandi or rage for wake/skate fishing in summertime

edit: spelling

#10 ·
I have that rod. For floating use, A Rio Steelhead Scandi 350 grain, 31 foot head seems a proper fit (although I'm new to scandi lines). For sink tip use, I use a level 325 grain, 27 foot head, that seems to be a proper fit, and handles tips up to around 100 grains.

Reactions: jake-e-boy
#14 ·
I have had one of these for 4 years now and its my favorite rod. Bought it to learn on, have since bought other rods, but keep coming back to this as my go to rod. Had Steve (SPG) line it for me, his lines are always spot on. I never buy off the shelf line anymore, just tell Steve what rod I have and get a perfectly tuned line. For the money, you can't go wrong.. have landed fish from 8-14 lbs on this combo
326 grn @ 30.2'
for mine from Steve..

#19 ·
Curious as to why you ended up using a 450 grain Skagit head when in you first post you say....Saw Steve Godshall rated the rod as a 5.2 wt, with a line recommendation for scandi heads of 286-338 and skagit heads 338-390, length between 18 and 24 feet.
450 in a Skagit is quite a few grains for that little sweetheart of a 5 weight.

#21 ·
I just got a compact skagit 375 and like it for that rod... tried a 410 and a 450, 450 was ok when learning, but thought it was too much when you add some sink tips to it. Plus I don't fish a lot of sink tips so the 375 is better suited to my casting and fishing style

#22 ·
Like I already stated, using airflo skagit intermediate, which means 5 ft of t-11 gets me plenty deep and again, airflo skagit int doesn't go any lower in grains, might try a rio ishort next winter/spring season. Getting ready to use the Scandi 330 come June

#28 ·
Just a thought but I assume you are talking about the IM6 ones...in which case Steve's custom scandi lines are:

ARE 12' 5/6 IM6 326 grn @ 30.2ft
ARE 13' 7/8 IM6 455 grn @ 34.1ft

I have his line for the 7/8 and its awesome.
yessir im6

ok so just done with my testing. 330 scandi is awesome for T&G and right inline with sgs's recommendation. (330 grn @ 30', got the airflo head at a steal so went with it over SGS line) also tried my wulff ambush triangle taper 8wt, 290 grain @ 20' and was impressed with it ability to huck tips/heavy streamers, seemed more SA instead of T&G which makes sense due to the taper of the ambush. I love this rod and like golfman said, can't be beat for the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.