Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Angler's Roost Rods?

Spey 
6K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  GOTY 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with these rods? In particular the 13' 7/8 ?

Guys on speypages seem to only write good things about this rod, however I realize a lot of the positive reviews have to do with the $100 price tag.

#2 ·
golfman I just got that rod no more than 3 weeks ago. I have taken it out a few times with a line from them but I recommend the rod. $100 and it is a pretty good rod with enough power to suffice. If you look up my postings you will find that I posted a similar question not too long ago that information helped me out a lot.

Reactions: GOTY
#5 ·
Oh whoops it looks like my copy pasted message to our convo didn't go thru from my phone lol, check your inbox ill resend it now.

It seems those are the most popular, with the TR being the most liked but its $100 more than the dually so not sure if its fair to compare them head to head. The dually is getting a ton of positive feedback tho so maybe in time it can surpass the TR's.

I went with the anglers roost, hopefully it works out. The $150 I saved basically covered the cost of the reel/line/head so it seemed worth it to me. If I hate it I'll probably go with a dually if they continue to get such good reviews

golfman I just got that rod no more than 3 weeks ago. I have taken it out a few times with a line from them but I recommend the rod. $100 and it is a pretty good rod with enough power to suffice. If you look up my postings you will find that I posted a similar question not too long ago that information helped me out a lot.
The replies to your thread are what seemed to be the consensus on spey pages too. Looking forward to mine, hopefully it works out alright.

#7 ·
I've heard good things about them too.

Man, getting into the 2 hand game can be intimidating. So many awesome entry level sticks, all with different lengths, appropriate lines, etc...then theres all the different heads and casting styles you can start with. In the end as long as it gets my fly in front of some steelhead im fine with it

Just curious, when you ordered your rod how long did it take you for Johnny to get you the paypal invoice? Haven't got mine yet, its been a few hours.

#8 ·
it took around 12 hours... do not get any spey line from Anglers roost. I got some just so I could throw it on my rod till I got the custom stuff ordered and the welded loop on the end is split so I have got to fix that. I agree that the 2 handed game is intimidating to get into. but so far I enjoy throwing my spey rod. I started looking into getting a 5wt mini spey for trout. I just like the fact that I don't need much room for a back cast.

#11 ·
Yea everyone that gets a line from him swears by it. It's also cheaper!

I went with a scandi. He talked to me for about an hour about it all. The way I've been fishing with my single hander has been a full floating line and poly leaders. His logic was with a Scandinavian I can use the exact same polyleaders, flies, and presentation as before so I can just focus on learning how to cast. I figure ill learn the single spey first then go from there.

#16 ·
Golfman if you want to get together before i leave at the end of the month we could go and look like idiots together if the rivers ever get back into shape.

#21 ·
Anyone have experience with these rods? In particular the 13' 7/8 ?

Guys on speypages seem to only write good things about this rod, however I realize a lot of the positive reviews have to do with the $100 price tag.
I have two of his rods. A 14 ', 9-10wt. and a 12' 5-6wt. I will admit that cost had a lot to do with the purchase but I am able to stand toe to toe with my friends and
perform equally as well as some of the higher price rods. I also have an Orvis 14 ft. for comparison. I like the Euro Spey action and it has a lot of backbone casting Skagit and Scandi. I would purchase another in a heart beat. Great rod for the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.