Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Anglers Roost Switch rods

Spey 
3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Wadecalvin 
#1 ·
Are the switch rods on the anglers roost website any good I am planning on getting one but want to know your takes on it before I go and buy one

#6 ·
What Steve says 'Flies.' (No bad pun intended.) I doubt there's many rods built anywhere in the world he doesn't have 'dialed in' for his custom cut spey lines. When he 'designs' a line for you, it's your line that takes into account the fishing application, the rod AND your casting style. You have anything (no disrespect intended) but "another box off a shelf." As an example (my last two lines from him) are "29.6 foot" and "31.8 foot;" his lines are cut down the the 'inch.' He varies the grain weight by what 'base line(s)' he uses to control the grain weight. You can get them just as 'heads' or as full lines.

One other 'trick' he did on the above was (knowing the length of the rod - and full lines, not just heads) was put in an additional strip (bright orange) run of line below the head a couple of inches longer than the rod. Low light conditions? Who cares?? Just pull that orange bit in until its at the rod handle (your mileage may vary a bit) and you're good to go. No squinting at your rod tip to see where the head is, no listening for the 'click' if its just a head, etc., and etc., and HOT DAMN etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.