NFR "Annie" the Owl is growing up

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by riseform, Apr 8, 2013.

1. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    Ratings: +332 / 0
    I just took these behind the house about an hour ago.
    5.28.13owl1.JPG 5.28.13owl3.JPG
    KerryS likes this.
  2. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +291 / 0
    Nice looking neighbor!

Since this thread has resurfaced, here's an additional image of Annie taken a couple weeks ago, still identified by the blown left pupil. Seems to be a reliably territorial owl.
    [IMG]
    Jim Speaker, dfl and KerryS like this.
  3. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +491 / 0
    Bird-nerd stuff always makes me smile. Good stuff, man.
  4. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    Great shots and ongoing story riseform. Good for you for creating the opportunity to find and follow up on Annie.

Plenty of owls in our neighborhood. Its not uncommon to hear three of them hooting in the evening each keeping a respectable distance from the others. Their calls can get very excitable sounding when one gets too close to another.
    They are very talkative and will respond to you with hoots and trills and come closer if you can deliver anything even resembling an owl call.

TC
  5. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0
    Saw a monster sized great horned owl in a small tree overhanging a wee little spring creek in eastern WA that I'll never say the name of... I was wading ever so gently down into this spot to bow-n-arrow a cast and let a drift run below branches when I saw it sitting up in there staring at me like an intruder. It was one of the coolest things I've seen fly fishing - not more than 20' from me and it didn't move. Ran a few casts under the branches and moved on with the memory imprinted.
  6. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +221 / 0
    Great photos, love it. It brought back a memory of great horned owls I have.

There was a man where I used to live who was moderately autistic, his name was Johnny. He was in his 40's and you'd see him walking the island pretty much any time the weather was good and he wasn't busy mowing folks' yards.

One spring people began to noticed Johnny was spending a lot of time standing at the side of this one particular road, in an opening in the live oaks, looking up into some big, old pine trees across the street. This went on for a few days until a friend of mine stopped and asked "Johnny, what are you looking at?" "Well, I'm watching those owls." Johnny had spotted a great horned owl nest everyone else was in too much of a hurry to notice. The nest had a couple of young in it and the parents were usually there, since they did most of their hunting at night.

Well, the word spread on the island very quickly and soon there were 20-30 people with their binos and telephoto lens cameras taking up all of the viewing room. Pretty much ruined it for Johnny, he wasn't a really a group social guy, he quit watching his owls. Then one evening, one of the adult owls brought a neighborhood cat home for dinner, ripped ol' Fluffy apart and fed it to the little ones. That further reduced the number of owl watchers. Never saw any photos of that, too bad, pay back for shoving Johnny out.
    Tim Cottage likes this.