Announcing the Spey Clan!

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Philster, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hey all. I am proud to announce the early stages of the formation of the Carnation Spey Clan. In a very loose and informal way it already exists. Mainly in the form of the "Saturday Morning on the River" events held on the Snoqualmie river at the mouth of the Tolt through the generous efforts of Aaron Reimer of River Run Anglers, Mike Kinney, and too many others to mention who generally help out, lend gear, etc . Well, things are going formal, and for anyone interested in Spey Casting, wether you own gear or not, wether you're interested in learning spey for fishing or competitive casting, this may be the scene for you.

Currently the plan is to become a fully accredited Federation of Fly Fishers club. Club business will be conducted in a "virtual" environment, allowing those out of easy driving range of Carnation to participate fully. The President or Vice President will be authorized to post items of business on the club website, and for a period of time, probably a few days, members will be able to comment, and then a vote will be held. No more worries about how to deal with Puget Sound Metro area traffic to make the meeting at 7:30 p.m. on a thursday when your kid has a dance recital:thumb:

There will be events, such as the Saturday Morning on the River, the awesome annual SpeyFair which this year will be the weekend of October 28 and 29 (volunteers always needed), and possibly more frequent smaller events and competitions, social events, etc.

An exciting possibility we would like to explore are road shows, where the clan may haul on down to the Cowlitz, or up to the Nook or wherever else, and hold a Saturday River session there for our Brothers and Sisters in the area if we have members in those areas, as well as helping others create their own Clans, sharing web resources, etc.

Get in on the ground floor! You'll notice a few "maybes", and "possiblies" in the description, and that's because it will be up to club to do what it wants! Nothing is set in stone.

If interested reply here with an email, or shoot me your email privately and I'll get you on the list for more information.

Thanks for your time
  2. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Is there gonna be the donning of kilts involved?
  3. Philster New Member

I can't speak for all involved, but I won't judge... I'll avert my eyes when you squat to line your rod, but I won't judge...
  4. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    I always knew you spey guys were kind of weird, but squatting to line your rods is over the top!
  5. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I'll wear a funny hat and smoke a cigar or 6, but the kilt will stay at home!! :clown: I won't judge either, but will definitely look away!! :cool:
  6. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +123 / 0
    SIGH .... :rofl: We, of the Spey Clan are "multi-tasking." ptyd < That's one of them too.:thumb:

SIGN ME UP!!

Double Damn! Forgot to ask: looking forward to this 'Clave, and the one following in BC the next (?) weekend. But this will be a motor home trip; any RV parks in the immediate area?

Fred Evans
  7. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Who you PNW fellows are taking this spey thing way too seriously.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:p

BG
  8. Big K1 Large Member

Duvall, WA, U.S.A.
    Fred,

Tolt/Mcdonald park( where the clave is held) has RV hookups.
  9. Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Congratulations and thanks to Philster and Aaron for all the thought and planning to get the Clan going. The potential for this organization is absolutely huge!
  10. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    if you choose to include the pennisula in your planning, i'd be in. if not, all the best.
  11. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Excellent! Two questions: do they take 'reservations,' and would someone be kind enough to provide their phone number. Driving up from Ashland, Oregon is a long way to go based on the hope there will be 'room at the in.'bawling:
  12. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Well, I'm in, kilts or no kilts. ....
    But we should have kilts.

Fred that's a hardcore drive, man. You gonna have little ones screaming at you the whole way?
  13. Brent Comer Member

Duvall, Washington, USA.
    I'm game. No kilts (for me).

Thanks, Philster and Aaron.
  14. Philster New Member

GT, that's the whole idea behind this thing. You can be a fully participating member in the "virtual community", helping shape the club, only showing up for social/casting/organizational events when, and if, it works out for you and you have an interest. Also, as more members from the penninsula join, they can host roadshows, or if the interest is strong enough, spin off to form their own clan, with associations and shared web resources with the Carnation Clan. First Carnation... ZEN ZEE VEEEEEEEEEEERLD! I mean, it's all good. Join us... Join us... Gabba Gabba We Accept You!
  15. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    I'm interested...count me in!!!!

:cool:
  16. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    When's the paddling start?
  17. Big K1 Large Member

Duvall, WA, U.S.A.
  18. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Many thanks Kevin, will contact them tomorrow.

And your right about the long drive, somewhere about 8 hours with a few 'dog pee' stops and leg stretchings. Bless Books On Tape!
  19. speyghillie speyghillie

River Spey Scotland
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    Holy Smoke,
    A clan with no kilts, never heard of such a thing, and guy's you really nead a Clan Chief, next you will be telling me that there's no drinking .not the kind of Clan gathering we have in the Highlands.
    Hopefully you all will get the chance to come to a Clan Gathering in Chilliwack, with Highlanders ,Kilts some real whiskey, i might even get on that mechanical bull i saw in a bar with the Kilt on, in true highlander style.:beer1:
  20. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    ooh, ooh... I wanna join too! I'm willing to assume the position, as long as it only involves no more than 5 guys!

-- Cheers
    -- James