Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Announcing the Spey Clan!

Spey 
3K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  speyghillie 
#1 ·
Hey all. I am proud to announce the early stages of the formation of the Carnation Spey Clan. In a very loose and informal way it already exists. Mainly in the form of the "Saturday Morning on the River" events held on the Snoqualmie river at the mouth of the Tolt through the generous efforts of Aaron Reimer of River Run Anglers, Mike Kinney, and too many others to mention who generally help out, lend gear, etc . Well, things are going formal, and for anyone interested in Spey Casting, wether you own gear or not, wether you're interested in learning spey for fishing or competitive casting, this may be the scene for you.

Currently the plan is to become a fully accredited Federation of Fly Fishers club. Club business will be conducted in a "virtual" environment, allowing those out of easy driving range of Carnation to participate fully. The President or Vice President will be authorized to post items of business on the club website, and for a period of time, probably a few days, members will be able to comment, and then a vote will be held. No more worries about how to deal with Puget Sound Metro area traffic to make the meeting at 7:30 p.m. on a thursday when your kid has a dance recital:thumb:

There will be events, such as the Saturday Morning on the River, the awesome annual SpeyFair which this year will be the weekend of October 28 and 29 (volunteers always needed), and possibly more frequent smaller events and competitions, social events, etc.

An exciting possibility we would like to explore are road shows, where the clan may haul on down to the Cowlitz, or up to the Nook or wherever else, and hold a Saturday River session there for our Brothers and Sisters in the area if we have members in those areas, as well as helping others create their own Clans, sharing web resources, etc.

Get in on the ground floor! You'll notice a few "maybes", and "possiblies" in the description, and that's because it will be up to club to do what it wants! Nothing is set in stone.

If interested reply here with an email, or shoot me your email privately and I'll get you on the list for more information.

Thanks for your time

See less See more
#27 ·
Hi Fred,
I know what you mean, but there is no point on me putting labels on my bottles, or to give them there proper name (big containers that you can carry and get over a fence with) :D
Thats the beauty of working on the Spey, a famous beautiful river, loads of rods and lines to try out each week and a whisky trail with 27 distilleries, its just some prefer to visit them later in the evening . ptyd

#29 ·
Hi Sloan craven,
I am hosting one in BC later this year, been working on it for around 8 months now ,the Clan Gathering i am hosting will have Clan Rods as the main sponsor, the last traditional rod maker in Scotland.
So there will be a few Highlanders, kilt ,whisky, and demo's and a chance to meet up and have a chat with the best in the world,not me i might add, got underhand , distance, grant style and even skagit/scando style covered.
Also got some great raffle prizes including some collector rods and reels, prizes to the value of $5000.00 .
I would love to come along to you Washington Clan Gathering but that would need to be next year, you could also thing about having Highland games at the Gathering, the Chief would open the Games by banging his Claymore on his Targe,:eek: (i know it sounds painfull ) but its nor really.
I was born in a Clan, well you would have to be with the name Macleod.

#31 ·
chadk said:
What's up with spey guys? Spey Clan this, Spey Clave that... You're like a bunch of junior high girls who can't go pee unless you're in a group :p :p :p :clown:
Well, skip the JR high girls ... it's a function of fluid intake that gets to us all sooner than later.:beer1:

Darn near forgot to add: I'm good to go! Booked next to the last RV site in the Park this morning. Reservation lady is a total hoot! Be in space 17 of 18. Ergo, if you're going to RV BOOK NOW; only one left.

Appears there may be simi-hook ups; NO SEWER.:confused:

#32 ·
SG, are you still shooting for the following weekend?????? Can 'afford' one trip north (8 hrs drive just to get to the Tolt River from Ashland) @ 50 cents per mile for gas.

Yes, that's how bad it is driving some 27,000 of motor home plus another 4600'ish pounds of Jeep Liberty. Not for the faint of heart on the wallet.bawling:

#33 ·
speyghillie said:
Hi Sloan craven,

I would love to come along to you Washington Clan Gathering but that would need to be next year, you could also thing about having Highland games at the Gathering, the Chief would open the Games by banging his Claymore on his Targe,:eek: (i know it sounds painfull ) but its nor really.
I was born in a Clan, well you would have to be with the name Macleod.
So Gordon, what else does a good clan have. We need a chief. a claymore and a Targe. What else? Where do you get a claymore?
And we need some sort of common ancestor, which can be an animallian totem?

#35 ·
Hey Fred,
My Clan Gathering is the weekend before Aaron's its on the 21st-22 Oct,sorry but i have been busy on the river, but it would be worth the trip up to watch and see Scott's demo alone, not got anything to sell , just guy's doing demo's and chatting about fishing, casting .
Can't promise you loads of companies selling stuff,have'nt got any and thats the way i like it, but can promise you a dram or two, and some awesome raffle prizes.
www.fraservalleyspeyclave.com

#39 ·
Had a look in a tourist shop yesterday and did'nt realise there was so many things with whisky in them, from Fudge to marmalade and some big fruit cakes soaked and left to mature in whisky, all single malts. Holy there is loads of food with single malts in them, very healthy stuff , and not a burger in sight.:cool:
Gordon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.