Annual bummed about Bonneville passage thread

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Klickrolf, May 6, 2013.

1. 10 year average is a bad indicator. If you want a more realistic average, look at 1995 - 2005. There were some amazing return years later that IMO may tweak the average too much. People complained last year, but final numbers were oretty good if you have been around a while. But fish are later, and that certainly squeezes the "the good weather" window for the travelling angler.

2. You are at the tail end of nearly 2 centuries of widespread abuse of the rivers, the oceans and the lands they touch. If it ever turns around, no body here will be alive to see it. If you charted fish abundance (pretty much everywhere on earth) over the last 200 years, you'll see a fairly steep, curve in a bad direction. No habitat, loss of forage, massive overharvest, migration barriers and hatchery production. Since the industrial revolution, everyone thinks that a better process can fix all the worlds woes, and that profit must always be the heart of the matter. Until that myopic view changes, the trend will continue.

3. The average wild passage over Bonneville was 76212 for the years 1995 to 2005. Of course this is the final count. In early July 2013 we will still only be forecasting and guessing. I sure hope the 2869 so far this year will be close to the 76212 for the year.
    Craig

4. A guy on the river I was talking with, told me the chinook were about one month late.... With that said, he thinks the steelhead are also about 30 days late. I have not ever really kept track of the salmon run, but there seems to be allot of chinook and sockeyes going over.. Does that make sense or have any possibility of being true for anyone who keeps tabs on the chinook runs?

5. oh hell, I am still going fishing. We can lament about it, worry about it, but in the case of this year, cant do shit about it. What comes is what comes.....

I am the eternal optomist.....we broke 500 yesterday at bonny

constructeur and David Dalan like this.
  6. Wish I could say no, here's proof you are correct. image001.gif

7. A little sense of history might be helpful here. Klickrolf's excellent graph needs to put in some sort of longer term perspective.

Bonneville dam and its fish counts have been in place since 1938. In that time period highest annual count of steelhead over Bonneville occurred in 2001; do we really expect runs at or record levels every year? In the period from 1938 to 2012 eight of the ten largest steelhead runs over Bonneville occurred since 2000. The other 2 happened in the mid-1980s after which the counts fall off significantly until that monster run in 2001.

Yes it is a bummer that fishing this fall on the upper Columbia/Snake/and their tribs will not be what folks have become use to over the last decade or so. Heck the fishing opportunities may even be limited but it is the nature of anadromous salmonids runs to yo-yo up and down; at times quite significantly. The question that really needs to be asked is this poor run due to some unique in-river condition or are we seeing upper Columbia/steelhead survivals returning to the longer term "norm" or even worst?

Ultimately part of the mystery of what steelhead are is what will tomorrow or next year bring? As much as we would like every year to be like the best year every the reality is that every year will be different and sometimes we will be disappointed. Treasure each fish and thank your lucky stars for those great years.

Curt