Another chrono question

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by flyerman, Mar 24, 2008.

1. flyerman

flyerman New Member

Howdy, new to site and by searching have had a lot of my questions answered, you guys really know your stuff! I had a question on fishing chronos though. When you are fishing two, how do you tie one below the other? Or what knot? Also I think I am going mono leader to flouro tippet, is there a consensus on that knot?

Really great site. I am heading to Dry falls to try chrono fishing for the first time on 4/12 to 4/15, if, by chance anyone wants to ride along from the wet side, be a cheap ride!

Thanks, G

2. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

Media:
    For my chirono setup:
    (improved clinch knot) - (Top fly) - (improved clinch knot) - (tippet) - (davey knot) - (bottom fly).

For all my leader to tippet, I use the blood knot and have had no problems with it.

3. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    G,

I like to go fluoro tippet to mono leader. I buy 3x mono, then whatever fluoro I want to use tied as tippet. I tie a non-slip mono loop (some folks call it a lefty kreh loop knot, some folks call it a no-fail knot, I think Rapala calls it its Rapala loop knot; it seems to have a lot of different names) to the first fly. When fishing two flies, I use a standard clinch knot (use more turns than you would with mono and make sure the knot seats well, because fluoro is really slippery!) to attach the second tippet to the bend of the first fly.

Again, use a couple of extra turns, make sure the knot seats well, and take extra care when tying knots with fluoro.

4. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    I have had good luck at Dry Falls, early in the year, with a wooly bugger and a chirono dropper. Just a slooow troll with a few little twitches thrown in. I don't like to sit and watch an indicator. David

5. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

I use a triple surgeons knot between leader and tippet. Usually start with a 4x or 5x mono leader then tippet if fishing down to 12ft. Fishing deeper than that I make my leader/tippet with straight mono and tippet. Usually use clinch and crawford knots for the bugs. Always make sure to pinch the barbs on my flies, very important when fishing more than one fly. Also I prefer the quick release indicators for chirono fishing.

6. Steve Birrer

Steve Birrer Member

Much as the others have said. I usually use a standard tapered leader down to 2x or 3x (7 1/2 - 15 ' dependign on the depth I plan to fish). Then use a blood knot to add about three feet of 3x fluorocarbon. I use the no-slip loop knot to tie on the upper fly. Then I tie an improved clinch to the hook bend of the first fly again with either 3x or 4x fluoro. Then I use another no-slip loop knot to tie on the second fly. When using chironomids I have found that I have much better success when using a loop knot as the fly hangs correctly.

And lastly USE fluorocarbon. I have done extensive testing switching back and forth between a fluoro tippet and regular mono. I catch more and bigger fish with the fluoro. Here is a simple test. Cut a 6" piece of each. Fill the bathroom sink with water. Let the bubbles settle out then drop in the two pieces. You will see the difference or maybe I should say you won't see!:rofl:

7. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

Media:
    Loop knot - no kidding?! I hadn't thought about it and sorta figured it didn't matter, but I'll definately try it next time. I've done that on buggers and things that move so their motion isn't hindered. Thanks for the advice.

8. steeli

steeli Member

Media:
    Double clinch to clinch. Deep sinking lines I'll use standard mono leaders but fluoro tippets always. Sunny, bright, calm days with float/slow sinking line might make sure to use fluor leaders.

9. flyerman

flyerman New Member

Thanks you guys! Good stuff. I will post a report.

G