...another fine evening's fishing

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by IveofIone, Aug 26, 2010.

1. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    I went to the Pend Oreille River yesterday evening to fish the last 2 hours before dark. This time I took my old Sage RPL III 8wt and an older SA System I click/pawl fly reel with a palming rim. This is an outfit that I have caught close to 100 steelhead on over the years. (Yes Virginia, you can catch steelhead without a mega-bucks disc drag reel). I hadn't had the Sage on the water in over 15 years and the reel longer than that but both look like new pieces.

I was wading the edges out to about knee depth. The river looks slow from the road but once in the water it is apparent it is moving rather fast and with great power. And slick as snot. A big orange crawdad pattern with 25 wraps of lead wire was my first choice and the fly had barely hit the water when a heavy 14'' smallie took it and headed downstream. A good start. After a few more fruitless cast with the crawdad I tied on a black wooly bugger with red flashabou in the tail and along the body-a fly that I have had good success with on the river before along with some spectacular breakoffs. On about the 3rd cast the line tightened and then started screaming off of the old reel towards the center of the river. Bringing the 8wt was starting to look like a good idea. After several strong runs which would have embarrassed some hatchery steelhead I have caught, the fish finally came alongside. It was close to 20'' and weighed several pounds. Big, bronze, broad and deep-a superb fish. The barbless hook slipped easily out of his mouth and he was on his way.

I was elated that I could drive 10 minutes from my house and catch fish with a floating line. I caught one more large fish after that and a number of dinks, even caught some on dry flies.

Next I think I'll start looking for pike on a fly. I saw a picture of a 23 1/2# pike taken on the river recently and it seems that fish in the 29''-33' range are fairly common. I have hooked 3 of those monsters on a fly but need to refine my terminal tackle to actually land one. Should be fun.

Ive
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Ive, always a pleasure to read your reports. Jealous that you have that resource that close. I live in a county with no rivers. We have some small moving water, lots of beaches, but no rivers.
  3. chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

Your City ,State Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Dude, that's a big smallie! Many big smallies I've hooked pull way harder than most hatchery steelies and would put them to shame. Nice job.

CS
  4. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    Smallies rock and will always fight their ass off. It's nice that you have them so close Ive, about the only time I get to catch one these days is when I am California visiting family.
  5. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Ive - get some Tyger coated wire leader. You can tie knots with it and it's the ticket when flyfishing for Pike.

Great report on the Smallies BTW!

DS
  6. Steve Vaughn Member

Richland, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Ive - great report! A suggestion from an old Upstate New Yorker who caught many pike in the St. Lawrence river - keep a few. If you learn how to cut the "Y" bones out you will have some fine eating fish. Most folks turn up their noses at eating pike but I have found it quite tasty. Not to mention you will be saving some of the other fish in the river that you love to catch.
  7. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Thanks for yet another great report, Ive! Sounds like some really fun fishing!

Hey Steve, those little y-bones can be nasty. We went pike fishing in northern N Dakota one time when visiting relatives. I was just a kid, maybe 9 or 10. I think it was 1960. Man that was fun! Chucking big red/white Daredevil spoons on cheap kiddie spinning gear, and getting a strike or hookup nearly every cast! We used wire leaders. We ate our catch, and I got one of those little bones lodged in my throat. Swallowing a lump of bread didn't dislodge it. I ended up having to stick my finger down my throat to puke it loose.