ANOTHER first steelhead on the fly post

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by troutpocket, Oct 14, 2002.

1. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    Wow, there must be something going on with the moon or ?? I caught my first steelhead ever this afternoon on the NF Stilly. It was a 6-7 lb buck, very dark but quite feisty. Gave me the bulldog treatment for 15-20 minutes after the initial leaping and zipping 100 ft of line off my reel. The setup: 9' 9" 6wt w/ intermediate sink clear lake line (!!) and a DDickson fly left over from a guided trip I took last year. You may guess that I was not targeting steelhead . . .and you would be quite right. Surprised the crap out of me, actually. I guess there is a bit of good 'ol dumb luck involved even with the mighty Steelhead! I'll post a picture when I get it . . .which brings up another point. I wouldn't have been out on the river today if I hadn't met up with another member of the site and made the two car/shuttle arrangement to allow a float trip. He also had a digital camera to get a photo while my camera was 100yds upriver in my raft. THIS SITE CAUGHT ALLOWED ME TO CATCH MY FIRST STEELHEAD!! Yee-hah.
  2. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Right On! Congrats! Isn't it WEIRD how the experience of catching adrenalin-pumping-Steelhead mezmorizes you for weeks and months After hooking or landing them!!??
    I guess anything that DDickson or JTeeney sells attracts Steelies? I caught multiple baby Steelies with Teeney brown nymphs and just the other day buying DDickson's sink tip on Fri led me to not one, but 4 hookups and 3 landings on Saturday! Weird stuff, but great!

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19
  3. miked New Member

mukilteo, washington, usa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    right on rob. thanks again for floating with me,had a blast next time we need to get at least two.email and i will send you the pics. thanks mike d
  4. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +128 / 0
    I got my second one ever this morning on the Klickitat, and this one was bigger. 12 lb. hen. This is easier than fishing for carp! I think the picture I got solo will look pretty good, but I didn't fool around posing her. Kept her in the water and snapped several, I think at least one was while she was on her side. I'm shooting on film with a cheap camera and getting the digital version off the web from the developer because of my bad luck lately in dropping electronics in the drink.
  5. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    RE%3A ANOTHER first steelhead on the fly post

AWESOME DUDE!!! Did you keep it? I always keep my hatcheries, til I hit my limit. Steelhead taste soooo goood! SRC tastes better though.

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19
  6. miked New Member

hey rob want to go again im thinking tuesday
  7. miked New Member

RE%3A ANOTHER first steelhead on the fly post

hopefully this works...