Another fishing report -

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Drifter, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Coldwater is still fishing ok . The worst thing is the drive over the top , last week there was no snow but a sheet of ice about 4 miles long right on top and down to the lake , even the ramp had ice all over it . I still don't know which is worse 4 to 6 inches of snow or sheet of ice - I think i'll take the snow .

Anyway last month was trolling and casting sinking soft hackles to rising fish over deep water in mid day . weighted softies seem to do the trick .

View attachment 46262

Last weeks trip very few trolled fish but found them at any little spring flow into the lake . with all the rain and snow melt flows from springs were up and the fish knew it . some fish were very close to the banks in 2 to 6 feet of water but chiro's worked best in 10 to 14 feet of water right in front of the springs. i have found that the fish in this lake seem to like a well dressed chiro rather then the sleek bead head - plain ribbed body no hair look . they seem to like wing case's and tails on they're mids !

View attachment 46263

We landed around 15 - most in the 13 to 15 inch range . this ways the biggest of the day ! A beautiful purple sided bow . all fish released !

View attachment 46264

The wind fooled the weather forecast on this day and was blowing at around 15 and we had to spend the first 2 hours by the ramp end trying to stay out of the cold wind and white capped water . then the wind laid down and we could venture out for a good day on the water . watching weather and wind on the weather channel website has really helped out in picking the right day's on this lake . watching freezing levels also helps to know what kind of condition's you may run into on the drive . i thought it was going to be over but the warm stretch we had about 2 weeks ago melted all the snow so ice was the biggest concern . here is the wind - freezing level at lake - and calm waters after a few hours of patiently waiting !

View attachment 46265 View attachment 46266

Last 4 trips - not one other fisherman on the lake . its truly a jewel !

2. great report. thanks for sharing.

3. Nice work. I love late season lake fishing.

4. Snow on the road is merely annoying. Ice is terrifying.

Studed tires.....don't leave home without them!!