Another Good Day Using Floating Candlefish Pattern For Resident Silvers

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

On Friday, I was again blessed with another excellent day skating a floating candlefish pattern(S.S. Candlefish) for resident silvers(13-17") and landed quite a few more fish than last week. For the past several years the floating pattern has worked very well for sea-run cutthroat and adult silvers(summer) but now it has worked far beyond my expectations for resident silvers this winter.

At first, the resident silvers liked a fast retrieve. After a while the fish were not as aggressive so I played around with different retrieves(moderate steady, quick short strips with an occassional 1/2 to 1 second pause, and fast retrieve with an occassional 1 to 2 second pause). A fast retrieve with "the pause" thrown in was probably the best.

The S.S. Candlefish has two 8mm sequins attached at a downward angle of 45 degrees behind the hook eye. The sequin is probably a main reason this pattern has been so successful tiggering aggessive strikes by sea-run cutthroat and silvers. It helps to keep the the fly skating/popping on the water surface. But more importantly, the sequin appears to make the S.S. Candlefish gyrate/wiggle from side-to-side erradically(or should it be "erotically").

If you are interested in how to tie the S.S. Candlefish pattern, I have posted a step-by-step narrative on how tie and fish this fly. This write-up can be found on this site under Patterns Forum.

The Lord has blessed me "with a free gift of compassion and helping others for which I am eternally gratiful". My hope is that I have helped others enjoy the fly fishing opportunities on Puget Sound which I so treasure.

P.S. If anyone catches a resident silver with a floating candlefish fly hanging out of its mouth, I would appreciate you returning the fly to me ASAP. I would prefer next day delivery service.

Roger

2. yellerstone

yellerstone Guest

check your private messages

John

3. Teeg Stouffer

Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Media:
    Home Page:
    I am very proud to say that I have seen Roger's SS in action, and I can vouch that this pattern is not only very cool, it is as effective as he says. Much different on the surface than other popper / surface patterns I've seen. Not really a slider, but not as overt as many poppers, either. Slick.